This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Contribution of Occupant and Vehicle Dynamics Simulation to Testing Occupant Safety in Passenger Cars During Rollover
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the field of vehicle rollover, the quantification of occupant safety provided by a passenger car has, up until now, been quite difficult. As existing test procedures such as FMVSS 208 and FMVSS 216 mainly aim at the structural safety of vehicles, there is a lack of standardized injury criteria for the occupants. The results presented in this paper are based on the experience gained during the development of a rollover detection system. For this purpose a large number of rollover simulations using the modular vehicle modeling program Fasim_C++ have been conducted. This multi-body simulation tool has been developed at the Department of Mechatronics, and provides the possibility to model complex three dimensional vehicle models and include complex mechatronic elements like hydraulic systems, actuators, sensors and electronic controllers. Furthermore the occupant behavior during rollover has been studied. For this purpose the commercial occupant simulation toolset MADYMO is used. Various accident scenarios are modeled using FASIM_C++ and the subsequent occupant behavior is analyzed in MADYMO.
By discussing the simulation results of various rollover maneuvers, this paper suggests requirements for a standardized rollover test procedure that focuses more on occupant safety than the existing regulations.
CitationBardini, R. and Hiller, M., "The Contribution of Occupant and Vehicle Dynamics Simulation to Testing Occupant Safety in Passenger Cars During Rollover," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0431, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0431.
- Cooperrider, N. K.; Hammoud, S. A.; Colwell J.: Characteristics of Soil-Tripped Rollovers. SAE Technical Paper Series 980022. Warrendale, PA 1998.
- Cooperrider, N. K.; Thomas, T. M.; Hammoud, S. A.: Testing and Analysis of Vehicle Rollover Behavior. SAE Technical Paper Series 900366. Warrendale, PA 1990.
- de Jager, M.: Mathematical Head-Neck Models for Acceleration Impacts. Dissertation: Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands 1996
- Friedman, D.; Friedman, K.: Roof Crush Versus Occupant Injury from 1988 to 1992 NASS. SAE Technical Paper Series 980210. Warrendale, PA 1998.
- Gadd, C. W.; Culver, C. C.; Nahum, A. M.: A Study of Response and Tolerances of the Neck. SAE Technical Paper Series 710856. Warrendale, PA 1971.
- Grosch, L.; Mattes, B.; Schramm, D.: Smart Restraints. In Proceedings: Airbag 2000, 2nd International Conference. Karlsruhe, Germany 1996
- Haug, E. J.; Computer Aided Kinematics and Dynamics of Mechanical Systems. Volume I: Basic Methods. Allyn and Bacon Series in Engineering. Allyn and Bacon, Boston, 1989.
- Hight, P V; Siegel, A. W.; Nahum, A. M.: Injury Mechanisms in Rollover Collisions. SAE Technical Paper Series 720966. Warrendale, PA 1972.
- Hiller, M. and Bardini, R.: Vehicle and Occupant Dynamics Simulation - Important Tools in the Development of Sensor Concepts for the Control of Restraint Systems. In Proceedings: 8th German-Japanese Seminar on “Nonlinear Problems in Dynamical Systems - Theory and Applications”: p. 15-39. Kobe, 1998.
- Hiller, M.; Schuster, C.; Adamski, D.: Fasim_C++ - A Versatile Developing Environment for Vehicle Dynamics Simulation. Int. Journal of Crashworthiness, Volume 2 (1): p. 91-105. 1997
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety: 1997 Fatality Facts: Roadside Hazards. Arlington, VA 1998.
- Lupker, H. A.: MADYMO, a Versatile Tool for Vehicle Safety Analyses. In Proceedings: 6th International MADYMO Users Meeting: p. 139-145. Amsterdam, 1996
- McElhaney, J. H.; Myers, B. S.: Biomechanical Aspects of Cervical Trauma. In: Accidential Injury; Nahum, A. M.. Springer Verlag, New York 1993.
- Mehler, G.; Mattes, B.; Henne, M.; Lang, H.-P; Wottreng, W.: Rollover Sensing (ROSE). In Proceedings: 2nd International Conference on Advanced Microsystems for Automotive Applications. Berlin 1998
- Pintar, F. A.; Yoganandan, N.; Sances A.; Harris G.; et al. : Kinematic and Anatomical Analysis of the Human cervical Spinal Column Under Axial Loading. SAE Technical Paper Series 892436. Warrendale, PA 1989.
- Piziali, R.; Hopper, R.; Girvan D.; Merala R.: Injury Causation in rollover Accidents and the Biofidelity of Hybrid III Data in Rollover Tests. SAE Technical Paper Series 980362. Warrendale, PA 1998.
- Schneider, L. W.; Foust, D. R.; Bowman B. M.; Snyder R. G. et al. : Biomechanical Properties of Human Neck in Lateral Flexion. SAE Technical Paper Series 751156. Warrendale, PA 1975.
- U.S. Department of Transportation NHTSA: Traffic Safety Facts 1997- Overview. Washington, D.C. 1998.
- van Zanten, A.; Erhardt, R.; Lutz, A.; Neuwald, W.; Bartels, H.: Simulation for the Development of the Bosch-VDC. SAE Technical Paper Series 960486. Warrendale, PA 1996.
- Schiehlen, W. editor. Multiboby Systems Handbook. Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 1990.