This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Requirements for Powder Metal Stainless Steel Materials in the Oxygen Sensor (HEGO) Boss Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Powder Metallurgy (P/M) offers a cost-effective and design-friendly option for the manufacture of stainless steel hot exhaust gas oxygen sensor (HEGO) bosses for automotive exhaust systems. The critical requirements for this application include high temperature mechanical strength, good corrosion resistance, weldability, machine-ability for thread tapping, and resistance to thread galling when exposed to temperatures as high as 1000°C (1832°F). Optimally processed P/M 400-series stainless steel oxygen sensor (HEGO) bosses meet these critical requirements, and are comparable to those made from wrought stainless steel, either cold headed or machined.
|Technical Paper||High Performance P/M Stainless Steels|
|Technical Paper||Silicone Volatiles Analysis for Automotive Sealants|
|Technical Paper||Improvements In Converter Durability and Activity via Catalyst Formulation|
CitationShah, S., McMillen, J., Samal, P., and Terrell, J., "Requirements for Powder Metal Stainless Steel Materials in the Oxygen Sensor (HEGO) Boss Application," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0341, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0341.
- Falk C. D. Mooney J. J. “Three-Way Conversion Catalysts: Effect of Closed-Loop Feed-back Control and Other Parameters on Catalyst Efficiency” SAE Congress and Exposition February 1980 Paper No. 800462
- Lee P. F. “Requirements for Stainless Steel P/M Materials in Automotive Exhaust System Applications” Advances in P/M Technology Seminar MPIF Dec. 2-3 1997 Dearborn, Michigan
- Shah S. O. McMillen J. R. Samal P. K. Klar E. “Development of Powder Metal Stainless Steel Materials for Exhaust System Applications,” SAE International Congress and Exposition February 1998 Paper No. 980314
- Hubbard Ted Couchman Kevin Lall Chaman “Performance of Stainless Steel P/M Materials in Elevated Temperature Applications,” SAE International Congress and Exposition February 1997 Paper No. 970422
- Albee Tanya R. de Poutiloff Peter Ramsey Gary L. Regan Gary E. “Enhanced Powder Metal Materials for Exhaust Systems Applications,” SAE International Congress and Exposition February 1997 Paper No. 970281