This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Low Light-off Three Way Catalyst
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper proposes a development of “Low Light-off Three Way Catalyst” and results by evaluation with a high density thin wall substrate such as 1.0×10-4m / 9.3×105cells/m2 (4mil/600cpsi) and 5.1×10-5m / 1.4×106cells/m2 (2mil/900cpsi). For development of “Low Light-off Three Way Catalyst”, the material components were improved. For example, 1) three kinds of precious metals, 2) Pr compound to improve the oxygen storage performance at low temperature of cerium oxides, 3) Ba for thermal stabilizer to prevent from the sintering of precious metals. To optimize these three factors, the developed catalyst could lower 90K light-off performance and C773 NOx was improved 15% to compare with current Pt/Rh catalyst after 1373K, 24h thermal aging. And by the vehicle test, tail pipe emission could be improved about 23% and 10% for HC and NOx conversion performance respectively.
And substrate structure is one of the factors to improve the catalyst performance. The developed catalyst materials were wash coated on the high cell density thin wall substrate to consider the effect of cell density for catalytic conversion performance. From these results, the catalytic performance was improved as increasing the cell density. To compare with 1.5×10-4m, 6.2×105cells/m2 (6mil/400cpsi) substrate and 2mil/900cpsi substrate, the tail pipe emission of HC was improved about 35% by vehicle test.
CitationIchikawa, S., Takemoto, T., Sumida, H., Koda, Y. et al., "Development of Low Light-off Three Way Catalyst," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0307, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0307.
- Muraki H. Shinjoh H. Sobukawa H. Yokota K. Fujitani Y. Ind. Eng. Chem., Prod. Res. Dev. 25 202 1986
- Ichikawa S. et al “Development of Low Light-Off Three Way Catalyst” Mazda Technical Review 16 1998 157 163
- Yamada H. et al “Analysis of Hydrocarbon Poisoning for Pd Catalysts” Journal of Chemical Society of Japan 1997 641 647
- Takemoto T. et al “Development of Low Light-off Catalyst” JSAE, 1997, 9739462
- Umehara K. et al “Advanced Ceramic Substrate: Catalytic Performance Improvement by Geometric Surface Area and Low Heat Capacity” SAE 971029