This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Injection Parameters on Diesel Spray Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper has the objective of characterising the macro and microscopic behaviour of Diesel sprays generated by a common-rail system and quantifying the influence of injection parameters and boundary conditions through a broad experimental study. The main purpose of this research is to validate and extend the different correlations available in the literature to the case of sprays generated by common-rail systems, i.e. at high injection pressures with small nozzle holes. The sprays are characterised in an environment which simulates the in-cylinder air density existing in the real engine when the injection starts. However, it should be pointed out that isothermal conditions at room temperature are considered and very little evaporation occurs. A wide parametric study has generated evidence needed to quantify the influence of the common-rail pressure, nozzle hole diameter and environment gas density on the spray tip penetration, spray cone angle and geometric volume of the spray, as well as the spatial and temporal evolution of drop size distribution. A theoretical analysis is made, and the results obtained are compared with the experiments of both this study and with those of the bibliography.
CitationArrègle, J., Pastor, J., and Ruiz, S., "The Influence of Injection Parameters on Diesel Spray Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0200, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0200.
- Dent, J.C. “A basis for the comparison of various experimental methods for studying spray penetration” SAE paper 710571 1971
- Hay, N. Jones P.L. “Comparison of the various correlations for spray penetration” SAE paper 720776 1976
- Hiroyasu, H. Kadota, T. “Fuel droplet size distribution in Diesel combustion chamber.” SAE Paper 740715 1974
- Hiroyasu, H. Arai M. “Structures of fuel sprays in Diesel engines” SAE paper 900475 1990
- Desantes J.M. Arrègle J. Pastor J.V. “Characterization of local fuel concentration and internal dynamics in D.I. diesel sprays.” SAE Paper 970797 1997
- Desantes J.M. Arrègle J. Pastor J.V. “Influence of the fuel characteristics on the injection process in a D.I. Diesel engine.” SAE Paper 980802 1998
- Kuniyoshi, H. Tanable, H. Takeshi Sato, G. Fujimoto, H. “Investigation on the characteristics of Diesel fuel spray.” SAE Paper 800968 1981
- Mayer, E. “Theory of liquid atomisation in high velocity air streams.” ARS J 31 1783 1785 1961
- Minani, T. Yamaguchi, I. Shintani, M. Tsujimura, K. Suzuki, T. “Analysis of fuel spray characteristics and combustion phenomena under high pressure fuel injection.” SAE Paper 900438
- Payri, F. Desantes J.M. Arrègle J. “Characterization of D.I. Diesel sprays in high density conditions” SAE Paper 960774 1996
- Ranz, W.E. “Some experiments on orifice sprays.” Canad. J. Chem. Engng. 36 175 1958
- Reitz, R.D. Bracco, F.V. “On the dependence of the spray cone angle and other spray parameters on nozzle design and operating conditions” SAE paper 790494 1979
- Reitz, R.D. Bracco, F.V. “Mechanism of atomisation of a liquid jet. “Physics in Fluids” 25 1730 1742 1982
- Ruiz, F. Chigier, N.A. “Parametric experiments on liquid jet atomization spray cone angle.” Atomization and Sprays 1 1 23 45 1991
- Dan Tomohisa Yamamoto Takehiro Senda Jiro Fujimoto Hajime “Effect of nozzle configurations for characteristics of non-reacting Diesel fuel spray” SAE Paper 970355 1997
- Wakuri, Y. Fujii M. Amitani, T. Tsuneya, R. “Studies of the penetration of a fuel spray in a Diesel engine” Bull. J.S.M.E. 3 9 123 130 1960
- Wu, K.J. Su, C.C. Steinberger, R.L. Santavicca, D.A. Bracco, F.V. “Measurements of the spray cone angle of atomising jets” J. Fluids Eng. 1983