This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Ignition and Combustion of Cerium Doped Diesel Soot
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Particulates (soot) were sampled from the regenerative trap of an automotive diesel engine run under three speed/load conditions. The fuel was doped with a cerium-based catalyst to promote oxidation of the soot bed. The soots were subjected to combustion testing in a DTG under both temperature ramping and isothermal conditions, and under temperature ramping in a small fixed bed. The combustion gas was 10% oxygen in nitrogen, which was supplemented in the case of the fixed bed with other gases found in diesel exhausts. The temperatures of initiation of combustion Tin were measured in the DTG and in the fixed bed. The kinetic rates of oxidation were calculated from the DTG results taking into account the influence of oxygen transport. The effect of gas composition on ignition and burnout in the fixed bed was determined.
Ignition did not occur in the DTG, but rather burning progressed steadily. There was a large increase in the kinetic rate constants with cerium present, but the activation energy was unchanged. There was no difference in rates between the two cerium additives. No consistent differences were observed between the combustion kinetics of soots generated under different engine conditions. At temperatures above 600°C a decline in the catalytic effect of the doped samples appeared.
In the fixed bed the catalysed samples tended to partly burn and then ignite and be totally consumed. The appearance of ignition was erratic with the addition of minor gases to the combustion gas. A simple combustion and heat transfer model was able to predict ignition temperatures. Loss of adsorbed hydrocarbons takes place before bed ignition.
- P. Gilot - Laboratoire GRE, 25 Rue de Chemnitz, 68200 Mulhouse, FRANCE
- Brian Stanmore - Laboratoire Gestion des Risques et Environnement, Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie Mulhouse, Université de Haute Alsace, 68200 Mulhouse, France * Department of Chemical Engineeering, University of Queensland, Australia
- Jean-François Brilhac - Laboratoire Gestion des Risques et Environnement, Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie Mulhouse, Université de Haute Alsace, 68200 Mulhouse, France * Department of Chemical Engineeering, University of Queensland, Australia
- Patrick Gilot - Laboratoire Gestion des Risques et Environnement, Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie Mulhouse, Université de Haute Alsace, 68200 Mulhouse, France * Department of Chemical Engineeering, University of Queensland, Australia
CitationStanmore, B., Brilhac, J., Gilot, P., and Gilot, P., "The Ignition and Combustion of Cerium Doped Diesel Soot," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0115, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0115.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
SAE 1999 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V108-4; Published: 2000-09-15
Number: V108-4; Published: 2000-09-15
- LUDECKE O.A. DIMICK D.L. SAE Paper No. 830085 1983
- NEEFT J.P.A. MAKKEE M. MOULIJN J.A. Fuel Proc. Tech. 47 1 1996
- MÜLLER E. WIEDEMANN B. PREUSS A-W. SCHÄDLICH H-K. Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift 91 12 1989
- LUDECKE O.A. BLY K.B. SAE Paper No. 840077 1984
- McCABE R.W. SINKEVITCH R.M. SAE Paper 860011 1986
- SAILE J.A. MONIN G.J. DALY D.T. Worldwide Emission Standards and How to Meet Them Institution of Engineers London 171 1993
- LAHAYE J. BOEHM S. CHAMBRION Ph. EHRBURGER P. Comb. and Flame 104 199 1996
- NERI G. BONACCORSI L. DONATO A. MILONE C. MUSOLINO M.G. VISCO A.M. Appl. Cat. B: Environmental 11 217 1997
- COOPER B.J. THOSS J.E. SAE Paper No. 890404 1989
- GILOT P. BRILLARD A. STANMORE B.R. Comb. and Flame 102 471 1995
- BONNEFOY F. GILOT P. STANMORE B.R. PRADO G. Carbon 32 1333 1994
- PAULI E. LEPPERHOF G. PISCHINGER F. SAE Paper 830180 1983
- GARNER C.P. DENT J.C. SAE Paper 880007 1988
- MARCUCILLI F. GILOT P. STANMORE B.R. PRADO G. 25th Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1994 619
- GILOT P. MARCUCILLI F. PRADO G. Corrosion of Advanced Ceramics Nickel K.G. Kluwer Academic 329 1994
- PETERSEN R.C. SAE Paper No. 870628 1987
- HURT R.H. SAROFIM A.F. LONGWELL J.P. Comb. and Flame 95 430 1993