This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Practical Analysis Technique for Quantifying Sideswipe Collisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a practical analytical approach for evaluating sideswipe collision severity from residual vehicular deformation. A simplified mathematical procedure was developed to evaluate vehicular speed changes, effective average vehicular acceleration rates and the collision duration from measurements of vehicular damage.
Several series of sideswipe collisions were staged to acquire empirical sliding contact data. The results of this testing were employed to provide a preliminary validation of the proposed analysis model. The limited validation supported the use of the proposed analysis technique to assess a vehicle's speed change resulting from a sideswipe collision.
|Technical Paper||Analytical Model for Investigating Low-Speed Sideswipe Collisions|
|Technical Paper||Vehicle and Occupant Response in Heavy Truck to Passenger Car Sideswipe Impacts|
|Technical Paper||Speed Determination in Car-Truck Sideswipe Collisions|
CitationToor, A., Roenitz, E., Johal, R., Overgaard, R. et al., "Practical Analysis Technique for Quantifying Sideswipe Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0094, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0094.
- Bailey, M.N. Wong, B.C. Lawrence, J.M. “Data and Methods for Estimating the Severity of Minor Impacts,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1995
- Griffin, M.J. “Evaluation of Vibration with Respect to Human Response,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1986
- Warner, C.Y. Smith, G.C. James, M.B. Germane, G.J. “Friction Applications in Accident Reconstruction,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1983
- Emori, R.I. “Analytical Approach to Automobile Collisions,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1968
- Tsongos, N.G. “Crash 3 Technical Manual” U.S. Government Printing Office 1986
- Prasad, A.K. “CRASH3 Damage Algorithm Reformulation for Front and Rear Collisions,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1990
- Prasad, A.K. “Energy Absorbed by Vehicle Structures in Side-Impacts,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1991