This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Material and Design Factors Influencing the Quasi-Static Dent Resistance of Steel Body Panels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The quasi-static denting behavior of sheet steels has been analyzed in a systematic FEA study, which considers material properties, panel radius, sheet thickness, panel length and boundary conditions. Results from a full factorial experimental matrix have been analyzed statistically to identify those variables and variable interactions that influence dent performance. The primary factors which control dent performance are material properties, panel radius and sheet thickness, while panel length and boundary conditions are not significant. Based on the results of this study, two commonly used dent criteria (loading energy and visible dent load) are analyzed, and previously reported opposite effects of radius of curvature on dent performance are clarified.
CitationSriram, S., Speer, J., and Matlock, D., "Material and Design Factors Influencing the Quasi-Static Dent Resistance of Steel Body Panels," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0025, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0025.
- DiCello J.A. George R. A. “Design Criteria for the Dent Resistance of Auto Body Parts” Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper # 740081
- Mahmood H. F. “Dent Resistance of Surface Panel and Slam Area” Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper # 810099
- Alaniz C. L. Brookes L. E. Seel T. N. “Investigation of Body Panel Stiffness as Predicted by Finite Element Analysis” Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper # 900716
- Campbell M. P. “Evaluation of a Continuous Annealed Bake Hardenable Steel for Improved Dent Resistance” Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper # 890711
- Yutori Y. Nomura S. Kokubo I. Ishigaki H. “Studies on Static Dent Resistance” Les Memoires Scientifiques Revue Metallurgie April 1980 561 569
- Sakai H. Saito K. Tsukada H. “Stiffness and Panel Characteristics of Body Outer Surface Panel-Finite Element Analysis and Experiment” International Journal of Vehicle Design 4 1 13 22
- Report on Steel Body Panel Performance Characteristics 1 Auto/Steel Partnership Dent Resistance Task Force July 1991 1 7
- Alaniz C. L. Borchelt J. E. “Study of Parameters that Affect Body Panel Performance Predictions” Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE 910289
- Shi M. F. Meuleman D. J. Alaniz C. L. Zurdosky S. J. “Prestrain Effects on Static Dent Resistance of Automotive Steels” Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper # 910288
- DiCostanzo G. P. Matlock D. K. Foley R. P. “Effect of Tensile Properties on Dent Resistance of Sheet Steels” Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper # 960024
- MARC version 7.2 MARC Analysis and Research Corporation Palo Alto, CA
- Procedures For Dent Resistance Evaluations of Automotive Outer Body Panels and Assemblies Under Quasi-Static and Dynamic Indenting Conditions Version 1.0 January 1997 Auto/Steel Partnership Southfield, MI
- Raghavan K. S. Arwashan N. “Analysis of Quasi-Static Denting Behavior of Automotive Sheet Steels” Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper # 970984
- Middleton M.R. Data Analysis Using Microsoft Excel 5.0 Wadsworth Publishing Co Belmont, CA 1995
- Duncan J. L. Marciniak Z. Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming 1 st ed., Edward Arnold, London, 1992 69 79