This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Power Analysis and Fault Attacks against Secure CAN: How Safe Are Your Keys?
ISSN: 2572-1046, e-ISSN: 2572-1054
Published February 14, 2018 by SAE International in United States
Citation: O’Flynn, C. and d’Eon, G., "Power Analysis and Fault Attacks against Secure CAN: How Safe Are Your Keys?," SAE Int. J. Transp. Cyber. & Privacy 1(1):3-18, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/11-01-01-0001.
- Miller, C. and Valasek, C., “Remote Exploitation of an Unaltered Passenger Vehicle,” IOActive White Paper, 2015.
- Greenberg, A., “Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway-With Me in It,” Wired 7:21, 2015.
- International Organization for Standardization, “Road Vehicles-Controller Area Network (ISO 11898),” 2015.
- Jain, S. and Guajardo, J., “Physical Layer Group Key Agreement for Automotive Controller Area Networks,” Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (CHES), Santa Barbara, 85-105, 2016.
- International Organization for Standardization, “Road Vehicles-Unified Diagnostic Services (ISO 14229),” 2013.
- Scott, M., “The Face Whisperer for USB Glitching,” PoC||GTFO 13:30-37, 2016.
- Kocher, P., Jaffe, J., and Jun, B., “Differential Power Analysis,” Proceedings of the 19th Annual International Cryptology Conference on Advances in Cryptology, Santa Barbara, 388-397, 1999.
- Brier, E., Clavier, C., and Olivier, F., “Correlation Power Analysis with a Leakage Model,” Proceedings of Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (CHES), Boston, 16-29, 2004.
- Oswald, E., Mangard, S., and Popp, T., Power Analysis Attacks: Revealing the Secrets of Smart Cards, (New York: Springer, 2007). ISBN 978-0-387-30857-9.
- Genkin, D., Pipman, I., and Tromer, E., “Get Your Hands Off My Laptop: Physical Side-Channel Key-Extraction Attacks on PCs,” International Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (CHES), Busan, Korea, 242-260, 2014.
- Balasch, J., Gierlichs, B., Reparaz, O., and Verbauwhede, I., “DPA, Bitslicing and Masking at 1 GHz,” Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (CHES), Saint-Malo, France, 599-619, 2015.
- O’Flynn, C. and Zhizhang, C., “ChipWhisperer: An Open-Source Platform for Hardware Embedded Security Research,” COSADE, Paris, France, 2014.
- Ronen, E., O’Flynn, C., Shamir, A., and Weingarten, A.O., “IoT Goes Nuclear: Creating a ZigBee Chain Reaction,” IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (SP), San Jose, 195-212, 2017.
- Oswald, D., Richter, B., and Paar, C., “Side-Channel Attacks on the Yubikey 2 One-Time Password Generator,” International Workshop on Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection (RAID), St. Lucia, 204-222, 2013.
- Moradi, A. and Schneider, T., “Improved Side-Channel Analysis Attacks on Xilinx Bitstream Encryption of 5, 6, and 7 Series,” Workshop on Constructive Side-Channel Analysis and Secure Design (COSADE), Graz, Austria, 71-87, 2016.
- Moradi, A., Oswald, D., Paar, C., and Swierczynski, P., “Side-Channel Attacks on the Bitstream Encryption Mechanism of Altera Stratix II: Facilitating Black-Box Analysis Using Software Reverse-Engineering,” Proceedings of the ACM/SIGDA International Symposium on Field Programmable Gate Arrays, Monterey, 91-100, 2013.
- Skorobogatov, S. and Woods, C., “In the Blink of an Eye: There Goes Your AES Key,” 2012.
- Paar, C., Eisenbarth, T., Kasper, M., Kasper, T. et al., “KeeLoq and Side-Channel Analysis-Evolution of an Attack,” Workshop on Fault Diagnosis and Tolerance in Cryptography (FDTC), Lausanne, Switzerland, 2009.
- Jaffe, J., “A First-Order DPA Attack against AES in Counter Mode with Unknown Initial Counter,” Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (CHES), Vienna, Austria, 1-13, 2007.
- National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), “Power Analysis Attacks on SASEBO,” 2010.
- Agrawal, D., Rao, J., and Rohatgi, P., “Multi-Channel Attacks,” Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (CHES), Cologne, Germany, 2003.
- Zussa, L., Dutertre, J.M., Clediere, J., and Robisson, B., “Analysis of the Fault Injection Mechanism Related to Negative and Positive Power Supply Glitches Using an On-Chip Voltmeter,” Symposium on Hardware-Oriented Security and Trust (HOST), Arlington, 2014.
- Carpi, R., Picek, S., Batina, L., Menarini, F. et al., “Glitch It If You Can: Parameter Search Strategies for Successful Fault Injection,” Smart Card Research and Advanced Applications (CARDIS), Paris, France, 2014.
- Veredas, R.P. and Wiersma, N., “Safety != Security. A Security Assessment of State of the Art ASIL-D Certified Microcontrollers,” ESCAR, Detroit, 2017.
- Guillen, O., Gruber, M., and De Santis, F., “Low-Cost Setup for Localized Semi-Invasive Optical Fault Injection Attacks—How Low Can We Go?” Workshop on Constructive Side-Channel Analysis and Secure Design (COSADE), Graz, Austria, 2017.
- Cui, A. and Housley, R., “BADFET: Defeating Modern Secure Boot Using Second-Order Pulsed Electromagnetic Fault Injection,” USENIX Workshop on Offensive Technology (WOOT), Vancouver, Canada, 2017.
- O’Flynn, C., “Fault Injection Using Crowbars on Embedded Systems,” IACR E-Print, 2016.
- van Woudenberg, J.J., Witteman, M., and Bakker, B., “Improving Differential Power Analysis by Elastic Alignment,” Topics in Cryptology-CT-RSA, San Francisco, 2011.
- Bhasin, S., Bruneau, N., Danger, J.L., Guilley, S. et al., “Analysis and Improvements of the DPA Contest v4 Implementation,” Conference on Security, Privacy, and Applied Cryptography Engineering (SPACE), Pune, India, 2014.
- Popp, T. and Mangard, S., “Masked Dual-Rail Pre-Charge Logic: DPA-Resistance without Routing Constraints,” Workshop on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (CHES), Edinburgh, Scotland, 2005.
- Bernstein, D.J., “Curve25519: New Diffie-Hellman Speed Records,” International Conference on Theory and Practice of Public-Key Cryptography (PKC), New York, 207-228, 2006.
- Genkin, D., Valenta, L., and Yarom, Y., “May the Fourth Be with You: A Microarchitectural Side Channel Attack on Several Real-World Applications of Curve 25519,” ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), Dallas, 2017.
- O’Flynn, C. and Zhizhang, C., “Power Analysis Attacks against IEEE 802.15.4 Nodes,” Workshop on Constructive Side-Channel Analysis and Secure Design (COSADE), Paris, France, 2016.