Elastomer Swell Behavior in 1-Propanol, Diisobutylene, Cyclopentanone, and a Furan Mixture Blended in E10 and a Blendstock for Oxygenate Blending (BOB)
- Journal Article
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.4271/04-12-03-0011
ISSN: 1946-3952, e-ISSN: 1946-3960
Published August 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Kass, M., Janke, C., Connatser, R., and West, B., "Elastomer Swell Behavior in 1-Propanol, Diisobutylene, Cyclopentanone, and a Furan Mixture Blended in E10 and a Blendstock for Oxygenate Blending (BOB)," SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 12(3):167-182, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/04-12-03-0011.
- Boyce, K. and Chapin, J.T. , “Dispensing Equipment Testing with Mid-Level Ethanol/Gasoline Test Fluid,” Summary Report Prepared by Underwriters Laboratories and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory for the U.S. Department of Energy, NREL/SR-7A20-49187, November 2010.
- U.S. Department of Energy, “Co-Optima:Co-Optimization of Fuels and Engines, Accelerating the Path to Economic and Sustainable Fuels and Vehicles,” Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Bulletin, SAND2015-2142,April 2015,http://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2015/05/f22/optima_sand2015-2142m.PDF, accessed Jan. 7, 2017.
- McCormick, R., Fioroni, G., Fouts, L., and Christensen, E. , “Selection Criteria and Screening of Potential Biomass-Derived Streams as Fuel Blendstocks for Advanced Spark-Ignited Engines,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(2), 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0868.
- Touchet, P., Zanadis, B., Fischer, M., and Gatza, P.E. , “Materials Compatibilities Studies with Fuel/Alcohol Mixtures,” Technical Report 2366, U.S. Army Mobility Equipment Research and Development Command, Fort Belvoir, VA, July1982.
- Karg, R.F., Hill, C., Dosch, K., and Johnson, B. , “Ultra-High CAN Polymer in Fuel System Application,” SAE Technical Paper 900196 , 1990, doi:10.4271/900196.
- Abu-Isa, I. , “Effects of Mixtures of Gasoline with Methanol and with Ethanol on Automotive Elastomers,” SAE Technical Paper 800786 , 1980, doi:10.4271/800786.
- Micallef, G. and Weimann, A. , “Elastomer Selection for Bio-Fuel Requires a System Approach,” Sealing Technology 2009:7-10, January 2009.
- Ertekin, A. and Sridhar, N. , “Performance of Elastomeric Materials in Gasoline-Ethanol Blends-A Review,” in Corrosion 2009 Annual Conference and Exhibition, NACE International, Atlanta, GA, 2009, Paper no. 09533.
- Stephens, R.D. , “Fuel and Permeation Resistance of Fluoroelastomers to Ethanol Blends,” in ACS Technical Meeting of the Rubber Division, Cincinnati, OH, October 2006.
- Nersasian, A. , “The Use of Toluene/Isooctane/Alcohol Blends to Simulate the Swelling Behavior of Rubbers in Gasoline/Alcohol Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper800790 , 1980, doi:10.4271/800790.
- Nihalani, I., Paulmer, R., and Rao, Y. , “Compatibility of Elastomeric Materials with Gasohol,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-28-0062 , 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-28-0062.
- Jones, B., Mead, G., Steevens, P., and Connors, C. , “The Effects of E20 on Elastomers Used in Automotive Fuel System Components,” Minnesota Center for Automotive Research, Minnesota Center for Automotive Research, Minnesota State University, Mankato, February 22, 2008.
- Kass, M. et al. , “Compatibility of Elastomers with Test Fuels of Gasoline Blended with Ethanol,” Sealing Technology 2012(12):7, December 2012.
- Durbin, T.D., Georgios, K., Norbeck, J.M., Park, C.S. et al. , “Material Compatibility Evaluation for Elastomers, Plastics and Metals Exposed to Ethanol and Butanol Blends,” Fuel 163:248-259, 2016.
- Koch, W.H. and Baustian, J.J. , “Isobutanol: Biofuel of the Future,” PEI Journal 4:28-34, 2012.
- Kass, M.D., Janke, C., Theiss, T., Baustian, J. et al. , “Compatibility Assessment of Plastic Infrastructure Materials with Test Fuels Representing E10 and iBu16,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 8(1):95-110, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0894.
- Kass, M.D., Janke, C., Theiss, T., Baustian, J. et al. , “Compatibility Assessment of Elastomeric Materials to Test Fuels Representing Gasoline Blends Containing Ethanol and Isobutanol,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 7(2):457-470, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-1462.
- Kass, M.D., Theiss, T.J., Janke, C.J., Pawel, S.J., and Lewis, S.A. , “Intermediate Ethanol Blends Infrastructure Materials Compatibility Study: Elastomers, Metals, and Sealants,” ORNL/TM-2010/88,March 2011.
- Graham, J.L., Streibich, R.C., Myers, K.J., Minus, D.K., and Harrison, W.E. , “Swelling of Nitrile Rubber by Aromatics Blended in a Synthetic Jet Fuel,” Energy Fuels 20(2):759-765, 2006, doi:10.1021/ef050191x.
- Hannifin, P. ,“Volume Change in O-ring EHandbook,”https://promo.parker.com/promotionsite/oring-ehandbook/us/en/ehome/Volume-Change, accessed Jan. 7, 2017.
- Kass, M.D. and West, B.H. , “Compatibility of Fuel System Elastomers with Bio-Blendstock Fuel Candidates Using Hansen Solubility Analysis,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 10(1):138-162, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0802.
- ASTM D471-16a , “Standard Test Method for Rubber Property-Effect of Liquids,”ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2016,www.astm.org.
- Hansen, C. , Hansen Solubility Parameters: A User’s Handbook Second Edition (Boca Rotan, FL: CRC Press, 2017).
- Kass, M., Janke, C., Connatser, R., West, B. et al. , “Influence of Biodiesel Decomposition Chemistry on Elastomer Compatibility,” Fuel 233:714-723, 2018.
- Abbott, S. , Personal communication, May 19, 2015.