Overview of the Role of Connected and Autonomous Vehicles in Smart Cities
There is been tremendous progress in the application of technology and artificial intelligence to connected and autonomous vehicles. At the same time, there have been considerable advances in data science and data analysis that allows large data sets to be managed for results. This course introduces big data and analytics, focusing on how these will be applied to data generated by autonomous and connected vehicles. These technologies will be explained within the context of a smart city.
While smart cities include the application of technology to multiple areas such as housing, factories and education, here in the USA there is an initial focus on the use of technology to improve mobility and accessibility in urban areas. Smart cities will be discussed and the likely outcomes in terms of safety, efficiency, user experience, and environmental preservation will be defined. The application of vehicle automation and techniques such as mobility as a service along with advanced sensor technologies used to fuel a smart city data management system will be explained.
This is an excellent introductory course for those involved in the design and development of connected and autonomous vehicles, those interested in harnessing the power of data and transportation professionals involved in the development of smart mobility approaches for cities.
What Will You Learn
By attending this seminar, you will be able to:
- Define the essential elements of smart cities from a transportation perspective
- Describe smart city transportation services
- Define the role of CAVs in a smart city
- Explain the optimum operation of CAVs interact with urban infrastructure
- Recognize the value of big data and analytics in urban transportation data transportation
- Associate possible CAV partnership arrangements with a smart city
- Course introduction
- Smart cities
- Big data and analytics
- Connected and autonomous vehicles
- Effects of connected and autonomous vehicles in smart cities
- Course summary