This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation of Smoke Emission Dependent upon Engine Operating Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Smoke is emitted in diesel engines because fuel injected into the combustion chamber burns with insufficient oxygen. The emission smoke from diesel engines is a very important air pollution problem. Smoke emission, which is believed to be largely related to the diffusion combustion in diesel engines, results from pyrolysis of fuel not mixed with air. Therefore, the smoke emission is dependent on diffusion combustion phenomena, which are controlled by engine parameters. This paper presents an analysis of combustion by relating the smoke emission with heat release in diesel engines. An analysis is made of the diffusion combustion quantity, the smoke emission, and the fraction of diffusion combustion as related to the engine parameters which are air-fuel ratio, injection timing, and engine speed.
CitationHan, S., Hinze, P., Kwon, Y., and Mun, S., "Experimental Investigation of Smoke Emission Dependent upon Engine Operating Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 971658, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/971658.
Factors Influencing Emissions and Emissions Formation Processes
Number: SP-1275 ; Published: 1997-05-05
Number: SP-1275 ; Published: 1997-05-05
- Michael J. P., David B. K., Lang L., and Darrick D. Z., Injection Timing and Bowl Configuration Effects on In-Cylinder Particle Mass, SAE SP-931, NO.921646,pp.111-126, 1992.
- Ketcher D. A., and Horrocks R. W., Emissions from Current Diesel Vehicles, SAE Paper 942043, 1994.
- Bryzik W. and Smith C. O., Relationships between Exhaust Smoke Emission and Operating Variable in Diesel Engines, SAE Paper 770718, 1977.
- Stivender. D. L. and Anann C. A., The Formation and Oxidation of Diesel Soot, A Rudimentary Study Paper No. CSS/C1- 79-15, Spring Meeting, Central States Section, The Combustion Institute April, 1979.
- Tahara Y. and Akaska Y., Effects of Fuel Properties on White Smoke Emission from the Latest Heavy-Duty DI Diesel Engine, SAE Paper 952354, 1995.
- Yoshizaki T., Nishida K., and Hiroyasu H., Approach to Low Nox and Smoke Emission Engines by Using Phenomenological Simulation, SAE Paper 930612, 1993.
- Harmes R. J., Merion D. F., and Ford H. S., Some Effect of Fuel Injection System Parameters on Diesel Exhaust Emission, SAE Paper 710671, 1971
- Hiroyasu H., Arai M., and Nakanishi K., Soot Formation and Oxidation in Diesel Engines, SAE Paper 800252, 1980.
- Hiroyasu H., and Kadota T., Models for Combustion and Formation of Nitric Oxide and Soot in Direct Injection Diesel Engine, SAE Paper. 760129, 1976.
- Hiroyasu H., Hybrid Combustion Engine with Premixed Gasoline Homogeneous Charge and Ignition by Injected Diesel Fuel - Effects of Pre-Combustion Chamber Parameter, SAE Paper 940267, 1994.
- Kadota T., and Hiroyasu H., Soot Formation from Gaseous Fuel Diffusion Flame,” JSME Paper / SAE Paper 790016, 1979.
- Flagan R. C., and Seinfeld J. H., Fundamentals of Air Pollution Engineering, Prentice Hall, pp.373-385, 1988.
- Frenklach M. K., and Clary W., Detailed Kinetic Modeling of Soot Formation in Shock Tube Pyrolysis of Acetylene, the 20th Symposium (International) on Combustion, pp.887-901, 1985.
- Woschni G., and Anistis F., Experimental Investigation and Mathematical Presentation of Rate of Heat Release in Diesel Engines Dependent upon Engine Operating Conditions, SAE Paper 740086, 1974.
- Gyakushi N., and Takamoto Y., Quantitative Relations of Combustion in a D. I. Diesel Engine (Main Combustion Period and After Burn Period), SAE SP-931, NO.9216411, pp.49-60, 1992.
- Heywood John B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill International Editions, Automotive Technology Series, 1988.
- Cowley L. T. and Shadling R. J., The Influence of Composition and Properties of Diesel Fuel on Particulate Emissions from Heavy-Duty Engine, SAE Paper 932732, 1993.
- Mandel B. and Ineichen B., Investigation of Soot Particle Growth in a Diffusion Flame Considering the Temperature Dependent Optical Constant of the Particles, SAE Paper 950849, 1995.
- Bertoli C., Del Giacomo N., lorio B., and Prati M. V., The Influence of Fuel Composition on Particulate Emissions of DI Diesel Engine, SAE Paper 932733, 1993.
- Liotta F. J., The Effect of Oxygenated Fuels on Emission from a Modem Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine, SAE Paper 932734, 1993.