This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance of Organic Acid Based Coolants in Heavy Duty Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Off-Highway & Powerplant Congress & Exposition International Congress & Exposition
Coolant formulations based on organic acid corrosion inhibitor technology have been tested in over 180 heavy duty engines for a total of more than 50 million kilometers. This testing has been used to document long life coolant performance in various engine types from four major engine manufacturers. Inspections of engines using organic acid based coolant (with no supplemental coolant additive) for up to 610,000 kilometers showed excellent protection of metal engine components. Improved protection was observed against cylinder liner, water pump, and aluminum spacer deck corrosion.
In addition, data accumulated from this testing were used to develop depletion rate curves for long life coolant corrosion inhibitors, including tolyltriazole and nitrite. Nitrite was observed to deplete less rapidly in long life coolants than in conventional formulations.
- Debra A. Washington - Huntsman Corp. supported by Texaco Lubricants Co., N.A.
- David L. Miller - Huntsman Corp. supported by Texaco Lubricants Co., N.A.
- Phillip B. Valkovich - Huntsman Corp. supported by Texaco Lubricants Co., N.A.
- Richard A. Armstrong - Huntsman Corp. supported by Texaco Lubricants Co., N.A.
- F. Anne McMullen - Caterpillar Inc.
- Michael J. Quinn - Caterpillar Inc.
- Frank A. Kelly - Caterpillar Inc.
- Earl J. McWilliams - Caterpillar Inc.
CitationWashington, D., Miller, D., Valkovich, P., Armstrong, R. et al., "Performance of Organic Acid Based Coolants in Heavy Duty Applications," SAE Technical Paper 960644, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960644.
- “Rust Inhibitors for Aqueous Systems” 1955 The Atlantic Refining Company December 6 1955
- Darden, J. W. Triebel, C. A. Maes, J. P. VanNeste, W. “Monoacid/Diacid Combinations as Corrosion Inhibitors in Antifreeze Formulations” SAE Technical Paper 900804 1990
- Scott, S. S. Orth, J. E. Miller, D. L. “Coolant Pump Failure Rates as a Function of Coolant Type and Formulation” SAE Technical Paper 940768 1994
- Burns, J. M. “Fleet Test Correlations of Original Equipment Coolant Pump Failures and Engine Coolant Formulations” Engine Coolant Testing Beal R. E. ASTM Philadelphia 1993 25 43
- Harrop, D. “Chemical Inhibitors for Corrosion Control” Chemical Inhibitors for Corrosion Control Clubley, B. G. Royal Society of Chemistry Manchester 1988 1 20
- Washington, D. A. Miller, D. L. Maes, J. P. Van de Ven, P. Orth, J. E. “Long Life Performance of Carboxylic Acid Based Coolants” SAE Technical Paper 940500 1994
- Hudgens, R. D. Hercamp, R. D. “Test Methods for the Development of Supplemental Coolant Additives for Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Coolants” Engine Coolant Testing Beal R. E. ASTM Philadelphia 1984 189 215