This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of HUYGENS Thermal Control Concept
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 01, 1992 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Huygens thermal control concept was developed in the B1 and B2 study phases between Jan. 91 and Feb. 92. This paper describes the actual thermal design and mass budget. It also covers the most important trade-offs, concept modifications and parameter studies performed prior to the actual design.
Natural convection tests on two boxes having the typical shape of Huygens boxes and conductivity tests with Basotect foam around a standing and a hanging box were made in 1991 at MBB. The foam keeps the descent module sufficiently warm during the descent phase to Titan's surface. The paper describes these tests, presents the test evaluations and compares measured and calculated convection rates and conductivities. Special tests for the selection, treatment and placement of the foam are described.
CitationDoenecke, J., "Development of HUYGENS Thermal Control Concept," SAE Technical Paper 921327, 1992, https://doi.org/10.4271/921327.
- Dietz, G. Elsner, M. Huygens Thermal Control B1 Study Phase March 28 1991
- Dietz, G. Elsner, M. Huygens Thermal Control B2 Study Phase Sept. 02 1991
- Elsner, M. Goedtke, P. Huygens Thermal Progress Meeting Hand-Outs Feb. 27 1992
- Doenecke, J. Elsner, M. Special Heat Transfer Problems within the Huygens Probe Proceedings of the 4th European Symposium on Space Environmental and Control Systems Florence, Italy 21-24 Oct. 1991 ESA SP-324 Dec. 1991
- Schanda, W. Measurement of Natural Convection and Foam Conductivity Sept. 18 Nov. 06 1991
- Doenecke, J. Evaluation of Tests on Natural Convection Dec. 20 1991
- Doenecke, J. Determination of Foam Conductivities using a Standing Box Feb. 02 1992