This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computation of Hybrid III Head Dynamics in Various Impact Situations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
Determining the angular acceleration of the head in automotive safety tests is one of the most important aspects of research on brain tolerance. For this purpose, a methodology combining various software packages and a specific accelerometer device has been developed at LPB-APR. The aim of the present publication is to evaluate this methodology for a variety of test-crash configurations, with or without head impact, i.e. frontal sled tests, steering wheel impacts and drop tests. The key feature of this study is the computing potential made possible by an accelerometer mount designed for the head of the Hybrid III dummy. In particular, the methodology developed allowed high angular acceleration levels to be computed, i.e. more than 15.000 rad/s2 in steering wheel impact. To confirm the results, examples of computing-measurement validation are given for each impact situation analyzed.
- Farid Bendjellal - Laboratory of Accidentology and Biomechanics, Associated with Peugeot S.A./Renault Nanterre, France
- Laurent Oudenard - Laboratory of Accidentology and Biomechanics, Associated with Peugeot S.A./Renault Nanterre, France
- Jerome Uriot - Laboratory of Accidentology and Biomechanics, Associated with Peugeot S.A./Renault Nanterre, France
- Christophe Brigout - Laboratory of Accidentology and Biomechanics, Associated with Peugeot S.A./Renault Nanterre, France
- Francoise Brun-Cassan - Laboratory of Accidentology and Biomechanics, Associated with Peugeot S.A./Renault Nanterre, France
CitationBendjellal, F., Oudenard, L., Uriot, J., Brigout, C. et al., "Computation of Hybrid III Head Dynamics in Various Impact Situations," SAE Technical Paper 902320, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902320.
- Alem M. Nabih Holstein, L. Garry “Measurement of 3D Motion” HSRI Ann Arbor, Michigan October 1977
- Lestrelin D. 1983
- Padgaonkar A.J. Krieger K.W. Wing A.I. “Measurement of Angular Acceleration of a Rigid Body Using Linear Accelerometers” ASME, Journal of Applied Mechanics September 1975 552 556
- Viano D.C. Melvin J.W. McCleary J.D. Madeira R.G. Shee T.R. Horsch J.D. “Measurement of Head Dynamics and Facial Contact Forces in the Hybrid III Dummy” Proceedings of the 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE Technical Paper 861891 October 1986
- Bendjellal F. et al. “Head and Neck Responses Under High G-Level Lateral Deceleration” Proceedings of the 31st Stapp Car Crash Conference SAE paper 872196 November 1987
- Trosseille X. June 1990
- Conville Mc et all. “Antropometric relationships of body and body segments of inertia” Report AFAMRL-TR-80-119 Air Force Aerospace Medical Research Lab. Wright Patterson Air Force Base Ohio 45433 1980
- Mertz H. “Kinematics and Kinetics of Whiplash” Doctoral Dissertation Wayne State University Detroit, Michigan 1967