This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Total In-Cylinder Sampling Experiment on Emission Formation Processes in a D.I. Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An experimental study on emission formation processes, such as these of nitric oxide, particulate and total hydrocarbon in a small direct injection (D.I.) diesel engine was carried out by using a newly developed total in-cylinder sampling technique. The sampling method consisted of rapidly opening a blowdown valve attached to the bottom of the piston bowl, and quickly transferring most of the in-cylinder contents into a large sampling chamber below the piston. No modification of the intake and exhaust ports in a cylinder head was required for the installation of the blowdown apparatus. The sampling experiment gave a history of spatially-averaged emission concentrations in the cylinder. The effects of several engine variables, such as the length-to-diameter ratio of the nozzle hole, the ratio of the piston bowl diameter to the cylinder bore and the intake swirl ratio, on the emission formation processes were investigated.
CitationHiroyasu, H., Nishida, K., Suzuki, M., Oda, H. et al., "Total In-Cylinder Sampling Experiment on Emission Formation Processes in a D.I. Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 902062, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/902062.
- Rhee, T. K., Mayer, P. S. and Uyehara, O. A., “Time- and Space- Resolved Species Determination in Diesel Combustion Using Continuous Flow Gas Sampling,” SAE Paper, No.780226, 1978.
- Duggal, V. K., Pride, T. and Khan, I. M., “A Study of Pollutant Formation within the Combustion Space of a Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper, NO.780227, 1978.
- Aoyagi, Y., Kamimoto, T., Matsui, Y. and Matsuoka, S., “A Gas Sampling Study on the Formation Processes of Soot and NO in a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper, No.800254, 1980.
- Voiculescu, I. A. and Borman, G. L., “An Experimental Study of Diesel Engine Cylinder - Averaged NOx Histories,” SAE Paper, No.780228, 1978.
- Hedding, G. H., Kittelson, D. B., Scherrer, X. L. and Dolan, D.F., “Total Cylinder Sampling from a Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper, No.810257, 1981.
- Yoshikawa, S., Furusawa, R., Arai, M. and Hiroyasu, H., “Optimizing Spray Behavior to Improve Performance and to Reduce Exhaust Emissions in a Small D.I. Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper, No.890463, 1989.