This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Inlet Pulsating Pressure Characteristics on Turbine Performance of an Automotive Wastegated Turbocharger
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1990 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The results of an extensive investigation developed on the wastegated radial flow turbine of a small automotive turbocharger are presented in this paper. Test rig measurements were performed to point out the influence of the by-pass opening on turbine performance. The analysis was extended both to steady and pulsating flow conditions, and controlled values of the main parameters of generated unsteady flow were obtained by a new dedicated turbine feeding line.
A specific test method was followed in order to prevent inaccuracies in the definition of the waste-gate opening. The hypothesis assuming the turbine impeller and the waste-gate as two independent nozzles was studied in steady flow conditions. Turbine measured pulsating performance, which generally resulted higher than steady flow, was compared with the values supplied by analytical predicting models based on the quasi-steady flow assumption.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Test Method for Measuring Performance of Engine Cooling Fans|
|Technical Paper||A System Approach to Automotive Air Intake System Development|
|Technical Paper||Spark Plug Fouling: A Quick Engine Test|
CitationCapobianco, M., Gambarotta, A., and Cipolla, G., "Effect of Inlet Pulsating Pressure Characteristics on Turbine Performance of an Automotive Wastegated Turbocharger," SAE Technical Paper 900359, 1990, https://doi.org/10.4271/900359.
- BENSON R.S. SCRIMSHAW, K.H. An experimental investigation of non-steady flow in a radial gas turbine Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 1965-66 180 74
- WALLACE, F.J. ADGEY, J.M. BLAIR, G.P. Performance of inward radial flow turbines under non-steady flow conditions Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 1969-70 184 183
- BENSON, R.S. Nonsteady flow in a turbocharger nozzleless radial gas turbine SAE National Combined Farm, Construction & Industrial Machinery and Powerplant Meeting Milwaukee 1974 paper 740739
- DALE, A. WATSON, N. Vaneless diffuser turbocharger turbine performance IMechE Conference on Turbocharging and Turbochargers London 1986 paper C110/86 65 76
- DALE, A. WATSON, N. COLE, A.C. The development of a turbocharger turbine test facility IMechE Seminar on Experimental Methods in Engine Research and Development London 1988 75 83
- ACTON, O. CAPOBIANCO, M. Performance of a radial flow turbocharger turbine Proc. Eight Conference on Fluid Machinery Budapest 1987 3 11
- CAPOBIANCO, M. GAMBAROTTA, A. CIPOLLA G. Influence of the pulsating flow operation on the turbine characteristics of a small internal combustion engine turbocharger IMechE Conference on The Small Internal Combustion Engine London 1989 paper C372/019 63 69
- CAPOBIANCO M. GAMBAROTTA A. Unsteady flow performance of turbocharger radial turbines IMechE Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging London 1990
- BENSON R.S. The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines 1 Horlock J.H. Winterbone D.E. Clarendon Press Oxford 1982