This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Significant Considerations in Selecting Base Stocks for Automatic Transmission Fluids
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The results of numerous laboratory bench tests and over-the-road field tests conducted on fluids blended with base stocks of varying physical properties are compared.
The effects of using oils derived from solvent-refining versus those manufactured from a hydrotreating process are examined.
Other areas investigated include comparisons of high vs. low VI; light vs. medium grade neutrals; and additive response to these differing base s tocks.
Although high viscosity index (HVI), hydro treated, medium grade neutrals generally gave superior results in the tests performed, it was determined ATF's blended with light grade hydrotreated neutrals of low viscosity index (LVI) also showed promising results when evaluated against standard industry tests.
|Technical Paper||Effect of Rear Axle Lubricants on the Fatigue Life of Tapered Roller Bearings|
|Technical Paper||Determining the Static and Dynamic Coefficient of Friction and Its Causes for Variation|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Overcenter Clutch Spin Test Procedure|
CitationBagnall, R. and Swinney, B., "Significant Considerations in Selecting Base Stocks for Automatic Transmission Fluids," SAE Technical Paper 821242, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/821242.
- Asseff, P.A. “Some Performance Characteristics of Hydrorefined Lubricating Oils”. A.P.J. Proceedings, Mid-Year Meeting 1970 (Volume 50).
- Bryer, Reif, Steinmets & Thomas, “Sun Oil Company's New Lube Refining”. National Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, New York, September 14th, 1972.
- Chertkov, Ya. B. “Change In Phase Composition of Middle Distillate Fuels Upon Heating”. Translated from Zhurnal Prikladnoi pp. 1437–1439, June 1974.
- Murray, MacDonald, White, Wright, “The Effect of Base Stock Composition or Lubricant Oxidation Performance”. Petroleum Review February 1982.
- Willermet, P.A. Mahoney, L.R. Kandah, S.K. “The Application of Antioxidant Analysis to Transmission Fluid Testing”. SAE Paper 790016.