This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Part-Time Four-Wheel Drive Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1982 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reviews the operation of the part-time four-wheel drive vehicle on a high friction paved road. A summary of our investigations follows:
The difference in tire radius between the front and rear wheels has a significant influence on traction.
When braking, the torque which occurs in the drive line is much larger with four-wheel drive.
The driving resistance of four-wheel drive is different from that of two-wheel drive; it is smaller when driving force is in operation.
|Technical Paper||Directional Stability Augmentation for All Wheel Drive Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Two Motor Electric Axle|
CitationUsui, H., Nishikura, S., and Takematsu, K., "Analysis of Part-Time Four-Wheel Drive Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 820743, 1982, https://doi.org/10.4271/820743.
- Wrong, J. “Optimization of the Tractive Performance of Four-Wheel Drive Off-Road Vehicles,” SAE 1970, No. 700723
- Kodama Masayuki Takano, Toshio “Driving System of Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles,” Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan No. 5 26 1972 559 564
- Teraoka, Masao Yuhashi Yukio Ohkuri, Toraichi “Effects of Center Differential’s Characteristics on Vehicle, in the Case of Full-Time Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles,” Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, Advanced Print of Scientific Lectures No. 751 295 300
- Nakao, Masami Nishitani Tadakuni Yoshino, Yoshiharu “On Isuzu Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles,” Isuzu technical Journal No. 63 65 72
- Imaizumi, Takeshi Kimata Narihiro Fukumoto, Takeshi “A Study of Torsional Torque Produced in Driving Systems of Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles,” No. 63 1 3
- Hermans, M. J. “Front Drive System for Four-Wheel Drive Trucks,” SAE SP-437 1979
- Hobson D. E. O’Brien, L. J. “Bias Balancing Interaxle Differential for Constant 4-Wheel Drive,” SAE 1971, No. 710616
- Kondoh, Masaichi “Basic Automotive Engineering,” 1 Yokendo Publishing Co. Japan
- Sakai, Hideo “Rubber Friction and Tire Characteristics,” Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan No. 7 21 1966 640 648
- Sakai, Hideo “Driving and Braking Characteristics of Snow Tires,” Journal of the Society of Automotive of Engineers of Japan No. 8 20 1966 753 759
- Takanami Takaharu Nishitani, Tadakuni “Theoretical Analysis of Brake Performance Examinations,” Isuzu Technical Reports No. 58 10 18
- Auto Car Wie 26 April 1980
- Schuring, D. J. “Energy Loss of Pnewmatic Tires Under Freely Rolling, Braking, and Driving Conditions,” Tire Science and Technology, TSTCA No. 1 4 Feb. 1976 3 15
- Schuring, D. J. Bird K. D. Martin, J. F. “Power Requirements of Tires and Fuel Economy,” Tire Science and Technology, TSTCA No. 4 2 Nov. 1974 261 282
- Schuring, D. J. “The Rolling Loss of Pnewmatic Tires,” Rubber Chemistry and Technology 53 600 727
- Nishikira, Shigeru Usui Hideyuki Takematsu, Kazuo “Analysis of Part-Time Four-Wheel Drive,” Nissan Technical Review 16 1980–12 68 73
- Sakai, Hideo “Rolling Loss of Tire,” Journal of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan No. 4 35 1981 419 426