This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Water Vapor Pollution of the Upper Atmosphere by Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1971 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The two combustion products which future technology will be unable to eliminate from present day jet engines are carbon dioxide and water vapor. The potential climatic change effects of carbon dioxide are considered to be a small part of a larger CO2 problem. Water vapor added to the troposphere forms contrails. The paper will assess the non-conclusive evidence of increased cirrus cloudiness at certain locations. Finally the potential climatic effects of added water vapor in the stratosphere on the radiation budget, the small decrease in ozone, and polar night cloudiness is evaluated in the light of future commercial aviation injections of water vapor.
CitationMachta, L., "Water Vapor Pollution of the Upper Atmosphere by Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 710323, 1971, https://doi.org/10.4271/710323.
- Nydal R. “Further Investigation on the Transfer of Radiocarbon in Nature” Journal of Geophysical Research 73 3617 3636 1968
- Mastenbrook H. J. “Water Vapor Observations at Low, Middle, and High Latitudes during 1964 and 1965” Sept. 1966
- Mastenbrook H. J. Purdy D. R. “Vertical Distribution of Water Vapor over Washington, D. C. during 1966 and 1967” NRL Report 6891 May 1969
- Kuhn P. M. “Inadvertent Modification of Weather and Climate” ESSA Tech. Rep. ERL 185-APCL 15 Sept. 1970
- Manabe S. “Cloudiness and Radiative Convective Equilibrium” Global Effects of Environmental Pollution 156 157 D. Reidel Dodrecht, Holland 1970
- Hosler C. L. 1970
- List R. J. “Smithsonian Meteorological Tables” Sixth Rev. City of Washington 1951
- Mastenbrook H. J. “The Variability of Water Vapor in the Stratosphere” J. Atmos. Sci. 1970
- Hampson J. “Photochemical Behavior of the Ozone Layer” Valcartier, Quebec Sept. 1964
- London J. Park J. 1970
- Harrison H. “StILLEGIBLEtospheric Ozone with Added Water Vapor: Influence of High-Altitude Aircraft” SCIENCE 170 734 736 1970
- Stormer C. “Mother-of-Pearl Clouds” Weather 3 13 18 1948
- Manabe S. Wetherald R. T. “Thermal Equilibrium of the Atmosphere with a given Distribution of Relative Humidity” Journ. Atmos. Sci. 24 241 259 1967