This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Interface Formation, Adhesion, and Ion Plating
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The surface condition and type of interface which is formed determines the adhesion which can be obtained in a film-substrate couple. Ways to control the surface condition and allow the formation of desirable types of interfaces before, during, and after the deposition of a coating are briefly discussed. The use of sputter cleaning as a surface preparation technique, and “ion plating” as a means of increasing adhesion by increasing the energetics of the deposition process are stressed. In the ion plating process, the surface to be coated is subjected to a high energy ion bombardment before and during the actual deposition. The principal benefits obtained by this process are the ability to: sputter clean the surface and maintain it “clean” until the first monolayer of film material is formed; provide a high energy flux to the substrate surface thus enhancing diffusion, chemical reaction, and the like; alter the surface and interfacial structure and thus change the interaction mechanisms and rates. Specific examples of the use of the ion plating technique to enhance adhesion, corrosion protection, and so forth, are presented.
CitationMattox, D., "Interface Formation, Adhesion, and Ion Plating," SAE Technical Paper 690647, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690647.
- Mattox D. M. “Interface Formation and the Adhesion of Deposited Thin Films.” Sandia Corporation Report SC-R-65-852 January 1965
- Mattox D. M. “Film Deposition Using Accelerated Ions.” Electrochemical Technology” 2 1964 p. 295
- Johnson R. T. Jr Dorsey D. M. “Solid-State Electronics.” 11 1968 1075
- Spalvins Talivaldis Przybyszewski John S. Buckley Donald H “Deposition of Thin Films by Ion Plating on Surfaces Having Various Configurations.” NASA TN D-3707 November 1966
- Mattox D. M. Bland R. D. “Aluminum Coating of Uranium Reactor Parts for Corrosion Protection.” J. of Nuclear Materials 21 1967 349
- Bland R. D. “A Parametric Study of Ion-Plated Aluminum Coatings on Uranium.” Electrochemical Technology 6 1968 272
- Hansen R. H. Schonhorn H. “A New Technique for Preparing Low Energy Polymers for Adhesive Bonding.” Paper presented at ACS 151st Meeting March 22 1966