This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Rating of Tapered Roller Bearings Through Continuing Worldwide Quality Audit
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1969 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses how periodic revision of tapered roller bearing ratings and reappraisal of the rating formula used by The Timken Roller Bearing Co. are accomplished by a continuing testing program on standard product bearings. An extensive sampling plan, designed to include bearing product up to 6 in. O.D. from both domestic and overseas manufacturing plants, is fully described. A review of recent fatigue tests on over 5000 bearings illustrates the experimental basis for the rating increases announced in 1967. Limited bearing fatigue tests conducted under conditions of lubricant, temperature, and speed different from those used for establishing bearing ratings indicate the need for determining rating adjustment factors to compensate for the influence of the application environment.
CitationNeifert, H. and Wren, F., "The Rating of Tapered Roller Bearings Through Continuing Worldwide Quality Audit," SAE Technical Paper 690577, 1969, https://doi.org/10.4271/690577.
- Koved I “The Effect of Three Mineral Base Oils on Roller Bearing Fatigue Life.” ASLE Transactions 9 3 July 1966 222 229
- Rounds F. G. “Some Effects of Additives on Rolling Contact Fatigue.” ASLE Paper
- Littmann W. E. Widner R. L. Wolfe J. O. Stover J. D. “The Role of Lubriction in Propagation of Contact Fatigue Cracks.” Journal of Lubrication Technology, Trans. ASME 90 1 January 1968 89 100
- Valori R. R. Tallian T. E. Sibley L. B. “Elasto-hydrodynamic Film Effects on the Load Life Behavior of Rolling Contacts.” ASME Paper No. 65-Lub-ll
- Weibull W. “Fatigue Testing and an Analysis of Results.” Oxford: Pergamon Press 1961
- Moyer C. A. McKelvey R. E. “A Rating Formula for Tapered Roller Bearings.” SAE Transactions 71 1963
- Moyer C. A. Neifert H. R. “A First Order Solution for the Stress Concentration Present at the End of Roller Contact.” ASLE Transactions 6 1963 324 336
- Pinkus O. Sternlicht B. “Hydrodynamics of Rolling Elements.” Theory of Hydrodynamic Lubriction New York McGraw Hill 1961
- Sibley L. B. Orcutt F. K. “Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication of Rolling Contact Surfaces.” ASLE Transactions 4 1961 239 249