This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Adhesive Joint Strength as Function of Geometry and Material Parameters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1967 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Structural tests on a 54 in. diameter epoxy-phenolic adhesive bonded titanium honeycomb sandwich tank resulted in failure substantially below design expectations. Company sponsored efforts were undertaken to determine the cause of the discrepancy and to arrive at realistic design parameters for future bonded construction. Of specific interest were the effect of geometric variables, including scaling effects, and elastic properties of adherends and adhesives. The investigations utilized titanium, stainless steel, aluminum, and beryllium adherends and HT-424 and FM-1000 adhesives, the former comparatively brittle, the latter quite tough.
Analysis of the results, in addition to confirming the generally known relations between bond strength and elastic properties of joint constituents, indicated surprisingly large scaling effects (25-30%) not hitherto taken into account in design practices, and revealed that the anomalously high strength-to-modulus ratio of titanium alloys is probably responsible for the often encountered and reported difficulty to obtain expected bond strength levels in titanium structures. The attained insight has led to the postulation of a “critical strain parameter” concept for brittle adhesives which appears to be worthy of further exploration.
CitationNadler, M. and Yoshino, S., "Adhesive Joint Strength as Function of Geometry and Material Parameters," SAE Technical Paper 670856, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670856.
- EpsteinG. “Adhesive Bonding of Metals.” Reinhold Publishing Corp., 1954.
- GolandM.ReissnerE. “Stresses in Cemented Joints.” J. Applied Mechanics, March 1944.
- KuenziE. W.StevensG. M. “Determination of Mechanical Properties of Adhesives for Use in Design of Bonded Joints.” FPL-011, September 1963.
- KutschaD. “Mechanics of Adhesive Lap-Type Joints: Survey and Review.” ML TDR-64-298, October 1964.
- KutschaD. “Photoelastic Analysis of Shear Stress Distribution in Adhesive-Bonded Lap Joints.” Forest Products Lab. Report TP-122, 1962.
- MoritaW. M. “Titanium Tankage Program, Phase II Final Report.” AFRPL-TR-64-154, November 1964.
- YoshinoS. Y.NadlerM. A.RosendaleJ. “Titanium Bonding Development, Phase I Final Report.” North American Aviation, Inc., Space Division, SID 66-298, March 1966.