This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Factors Influencing the Measurement of Tire Uniformity
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1965 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Tire nonuniformities are a major source of vibration problems in vehicles. There is considerable disagreement on which tire uniformity parameters are important to vehicle noise and vibration problems, and on how these uniformity parameters should be measured. This paper is concerned primarily with the effects of the nonuniformities of the tire structure which cause contact patch force variations as the tire is rolled in a straight line at constant axle height.
Experimental results showing the effects of mean radial load and roll size on these structural, or static, nonuniformities are presented which indicate that these force variations should be measured on a large roll at rated load. Mathematical analyses of certain vehicle vibrations show that radial and lateral force variation are important uniformity parameters. The amplitude of the first harmonic of these force variations contributes to vehicle shake. Specifications for tire uniformity grading machines are presented together with suggestions for machine instrumentation.
|Technical Paper||Coupled Vibration Analysis of Tire and Wheel for Road Noise Improvement|
|Journal Article||Vibration Analysis of Tire Circumferential Mode Under Loaded Axle|
|Technical Paper||Tire Design Factors Influencing Control of Vibration|
CitationNordeen, D. and Rasmussen, R., "Factors Influencing the Measurement of Tire Uniformity," SAE Technical Paper 650734, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650734.
- Bajer J., “The Control of Tire Uniformity and a Passenger Car Manufacturer’s Point of View.” SAE Preprint 667B, March, 1963.
- Anderson M. G., “Tire Uniformity.” SAE Preprint 322B, March, 1961.
- Morrish L. M. and Haist R. R., “Effect of Loaded Radial Runout on Tire Roughness and Shake.” SAE Preprint 322E, March, 1961.
- Liska J. W., and Sidles J., “Tire Dynamics - Effect on Noise and Vibration.” SAE Preprint 322E, March, 1961.
- Gough V. E., “Friction of Rubber.” The Engineer, October and November, 1958.
- Sanders G. J., “An Investigation of the Control of Tire Thump by Tire Shape.” SAE Trans., Vol. 67, 1959.
- Apps D. C. and Vanator G. M., “Tire Thump: Its Mechanism and Measurement.” SAE Trans., Vol. 63, 1955.
- Radt, H. S. Jr., “Mechanism of Tire Thump and Roughness.” SAE Preprint 322C, March, 1961.
- Gough, V. E. et al, “Tire Uniformity Grading Machine.” SAE Preprint 322A, March, 1961.