This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Donasonic - Turbine Tailored Silencing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1965 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A brief review is made of the sources and causes of gas turbine noise. Intake noise characteristics of different types of small gas turbines are discussed.
Sound pressure level criteria is recommended for the protection of operating personnel and for avoiding neighborhood noise complaints.
The paper summarizes the development of the Donasonic intake silencer and its possible integration with air cleaning techniques - resulting in a significant space and weight saving. Conventional methods of controlling intake noise are also discussed.
Combined air cleaner-silencer induction systems, stressing compact size and light weight, are described including test data from actual applications.
CitationRowley, D., "Donasonic - Turbine Tailored Silencing," SAE Technical Paper 650169, 1965, https://doi.org/10.4271/650169.
- BeranekL. L., Noise Reduction. McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., New York, 1960, p. 545.
- McAuliffeD. R., MorlockH., and OranF. M., “What to do About Gas-Turbine Noise.” ASME Paper No. 63-AHGT-77 presented at the Aviation and Space, Hydraulic, and Gas Turbine Conference and Products Show, Los Angeles, California, March, 1963.
- CohenA., “Damage Risk Criteria for Noise Exposure: Aspects of Acceptability and Validity.” Industrial Hygiene Journal, May-June, 1963.
- GlorigA., “Relationships Between Hearing Loss and Noise Exposure.” Journal of Iowa Medical Society, Vol. LIII, No. 5, May, 1963, pp. 309-311.
- International Standards Organization, “Noise Rating Numbers with Respect to Conservation of Hearing, Speech Communication and Annoyance.” Technical Committee 43 Draft Secretarial Proposal No. 235, August, 1961.
- American Standards Assocation Subcommittee Z24-X-2, “The Relations of Hearing Loss to Noise Exposure.” American Standards Association, New York, 1954.
- State of California Division of Industrial Safety, Title 8, Group 6.1. Noise Control Safety Orders, Article 55. “Standards for Noise Control.” Registrar 63, No.3, February 23, 1963, Effective March 15, 1963.
- StevensS. S., “Procedure for Calculating Loudness: Mark VI.” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 33, No. 11, November 1961, pp. 1577-1585.
- SAE Handbook. Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. New York, 1964, pp. 852-854.
- ParrackH. O., “Community Reaction to Noise.” Handbook of Noise Control. McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., New York, 1957, pp.36-1 through 36-20.
- AuddetteR. R, “Sound Control for Gas Turbine Package Power Plants.” Industrial Hygiene Journal, January - February, 1963.
- PetersonA.P.G., and BeranekL.L., Handbook of Noise Measurement. General Radio Company, West Concord, Massachusettes, 1956, pp. 62-64.
- BroadbentD. E., “Effects of Noise on Behavior.” Handbook of Noise Control, McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., New York, 1957, pp. 10-11 through 10-33.
- BeranekL. L., Noise Reduction. McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., New York, 1960, pp. 452-455.
- MundM. G., “Design, Development and Application of Air Cleaners for Gas Turbines.” SAE Paper No. 538B presented at Summer Meeting, Atlantic City, New Jersey, June, 1962.
- MundM.G., and ConklinK.J., “Dust Concentration Measurement on the U.S. Army Overland Train, Mark II.”, Final Technical Report, Contract DA44-177-AMC-24 (T), December 1963.
- MontgomeryJ.E., and ClarkJ.M.Jr., “Dust Erosion Parameters for a Gas Turbine.” SAE Paper No. 538A presented at Summer Meeting, Atlantic City, New Jersey, June, 1962.
- MundM.G. and MurphyT.E., “The Gas Tur-bine-Air-Cleaner Dilemma.” ASME Paper No. 63-AHGT-63 presented at the Aviation and Space, Hydraulic and Gas Turbine Conference and Products Show, Los Angeles, California, March, 1963.
- MontgomeryJ.E., and FaehnD.D., “High Performance Air Cleaners for the Army's Industrial Gas Turbines.” SAE Paper No. 880B presented at Summer Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, June, 1964.
- MaddoxC. F., and McQuaidJ.G., “The Interstate Highway Super Transport Truck.” SAE Paper No. 991A prepared for presentation at the International Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan, January, 1965.
- PeitschG., and SwatmanI.M., “A Gas Turbine Super Transport Truck Power Package.” SAE Paper No. 991B prepared for presentation at the International Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan, January, 1965.