This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Materials Used in Aerospace Applications for Plastics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1963 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Reinforced structural plastics used in aerospace vehicles and new resinous and fibrous material are reviewed. Pressure vessels and rocket cases fabricated from prepreg resin-glass roving offer strength-to-weight ratios greater than metals, excellent environmental properties, reproducibility, and reliability. Ablative reinforced plastics for fabrication of components exposed to hyperthermal and supersonic environments are discussed. Capabilities of test facilities are reviewed and test data are presented. In general, high silica fibers and fabrics prepreged with modified phenolic resins exhibit superior performance in test facilities with oxidizing gaseous environments. Graphite and carbon reinforcements with proprietary modified phenolic resins are preferred in some environments.
CitationSherrard, G. and Murray, C., "The Materials Used in Aerospace Applications for Plastics," SAE Technical Paper 630266, 1963, https://doi.org/10.4271/630266.
- Asbestos Textile Institute, “Handbook of Asbestos Textiles,” 2nd Ed., 1961.
- Brown, “Prepreg Fabrication,” The Glass Industry, Vol. 43, No. 6 (June, 1962), 325.
- Layton, “Filament Winding,” The Glass Industry, 43, No. 6 (June, 1962), 328.
- Murray, “Ablation of Phenolics in Oxygen-hydrogen Exhaust,” Western Plastics, Tech. Report 90, November, 1962.
- National Carbon Co., “Carbon and Graphite Fabrics,” Bulletins 501-IB, 502-IB, 503-IB, and 505-JB.
- Rawuka, “Materials Thermal Properties and Environmental Thermal Simulation Supporting Facilities for Missile and Space Vehicles,” Materials, Sampe, May, 1962.
- Sonneborn, “Fibrous Glass Reinforcements,” Modern Plastics Encyclopedis, Vol. 39, No. 1A (1961), 561.
- Thompson, H. I. Fiber Glass Co., “Hitco Carbon Materials,” Tech. Bulletin 1-3B, July, 1961.
- Thompson, H. I. Fiber Glass Co., “Super Refractory Fibers,” Tech. Bulletin No. 1-1, March, 1961.
- Thompson, H. I. Fiber Glass Co., “Product Specification, Graphite Cloth,” TMS 01000, January, 1963.
- Thompson, H. I. Fiber Glass Co., “Hitco Refrasil Materials,” Bulletin PS1-LA, 1961.
- Wilson, “Should You Go to Filament Winding,” Modern Plastics, 40, No. 3 (November, 1962) 89.