This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Handling: Mathematical Characteristics of the Driver
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 1963 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent mathematical descriptions of the human operator in control systems are reviewed. Available models are shown to have certain shortcomings when applied to automobile driving. It is proposed that “self-pacing” and “programed-transient” behavior are requisite to satisfactory characterization of the driver.
CitationSheridan, T., "Vehicle Handling: Mathematical Characteristics of the Driver," SAE Technical Paper 630068, 1963, https://doi.org/10.4271/630068.
- McRuer D. T. and Krendel E. S., “Dynamic Response of Human Operators,” Wright Patterson A.F.B, Ohio, WADC-TR-56-524 (October, 1957).
- Sheridan T. B., “Experimental Analysis of Time-Variations of the Human Operator's Transfer Function,” Proc. First Congress of the International Federation of Automatic Control (Moscow). London: Butterworth, 1960, pp. 629-635.
- Sheridan T. B., “Alertness Measurement of the Human Operator of a Continuous Control System,” Automatic Control (March, 1961).
- DeFerrari H. A., “Design and Experimentation with a Device for the Detection of Driver Alertness During Actual Road Tests,” S.M. Thesis, Mechanical Engineering, MIT, August, 1961.
- Elkind J. I. and Green D. M., “Measurement of Time-Varying and Non-Linear Dynamic Characteristics of Human Pilots,” Wright Patterson A.F.B., Ohio, ASD-TR-61 -225 (December, 1961).
- Wescott J. H. and Lemay L. P., “The Simulation of Human Operator Tracking Using an Intermittent Model.” Paper presented at the Int'l Congress on Human Factors in Electronics, IRE, Long Beach, California, May, 1962.
- Bekey G. A., “The Human Operator as a Sampled-Data System,” IRE Trans., Vol. HFE-3, No. 2, September, 1962.
- Hick W. E., “The Discontinuous Functioning of the Human Operator in Pursuit Tasks,” Quarterly J. Experimental Psychology, Vol. 1 (1948).
- Westbrook C. B. and McRuer D. T., “Handling Qualities and Pilot Dynamics,” Aero-space Eng., Vol. 18, No. 5 (May, 1959).
- Elkind J. I., personal communication.
- Krendel E. S. and McRuer D. T., “A Servomechanism Approach to Skill Development,” J. Franklin Inst., Vol. 269 (January, 1960), pp. 24-42.
- Miller G. A., Galanter E., and Pribram K. H., “ Plans and the Structure of Behavior.” New York: Henry Holt & Co., 1960.
- “Proc. National Conference on Driving Simulation,” sponsored by Automotive Safety Foundation, U. S. Bu. of Public Roads and U.S. Public Health Service, Los Angeles, Calif., 1961.
- Snyder D. L., S.M. Thesis (in progress), MIT.