This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Isolated Low Temperature Heat Release in Spark Ignition Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2023 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Low temperature heat release (LTHR) has been of interest to researchers for its potential to mitigate knock in spark ignition (SI) engines and control auto-ignition in advanced compression ignition (ACI) engines. Previous studies have identified and investigated LTHR in both ACI and SI engines before the main high temperature heat release (HTHR) event by appropriately curating the in-cylinder thermal state during compression, or in the case of SI engines, timing the spark discharge late to reveal LTHR (sometimes referred to as pre-spark heat release). In this work, LTHR is demonstrated in isolation from HTHR events. Tests were run on motored single-cylinder engines and inlet air temperatures and pressures were adjusted to realise LTHR from n-heptane and iso-octane (2,2,4-trimethylpentane) without entering the HTHR regime. LTHR was observed for a lean n-heptane-air mixture at inlet temperatures ranging from 60°C to 100°C and inlet pressures of 0.9 bar (absolute). For temperatures below 60°C LTHR was not detected and for temperatures above 100°C measurements could not be taken due to the presence of HTHR. No LTHR was detected for iso-octane at 0.9 bar inlet pressures for the same conditions. Following predictions from chemical kinetics modelling in CHEMKIN (and previous studies), intake pressures were increased to 1.1 bar and 1.5 bar, which successfully led to the realisation of LTHR from iso-octane. The effect of temperature, pressure, and engine speed on the presence, intensity and phasing of LTHR are presented alongside pressure-temperature trajectories of the in-cylinder gases to explain the trends.
CitationWhite, S., Bajwa, A., and Leach, F., "Isolated Low Temperature Heat Release in Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2023-01-0235, 2023, https://doi.org/10.4271/2023-01-0235.
- Senecal , K. and Leach , F. Racing toward Zero: The Untold Story of Driving Green SAE International Jun 2021
- Attard , W.P. and Blaxill , H. SAE 2012 World Congress and Exhibition apr 2012
- Leppard , W.R. oct 1990
- Saisirirat , P. , Foucher , F. , Chanchaona , S. , and Mounaïm-Rousselle , C. Effects of Ethanol, n-Butanol — n-Heptane Blended on Low Temperature Heat Release and HRR Phasing in Diesel-HCCI 9th International Conference on Engines and Vehicles sep 2009
- Waqas , M.U. , Hoth , A. , Kolodziej , C.P. , Rockstroh , T. et al. Detection of Low Temperature Heat Release (Lthr) in the Standard Cooperative Fuel Research (Cfr) Engine in both Si and Hcci Combustion Modes Fuel 256 2019 115745
- Shibata , G. , Oyama , K. , Urushihara , T. , and Nakano , T. Correlation of Low Temperature Heat Release with Fuel Composition and HCCI Engine Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0138 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0138
- Splitter , D.A. , Gilliam , A. , Szybist , J. , and Ghandhi , J. Effects of Pre-Spark Heat Release on Engine Knock Limit Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 37 4 2019 4893 4900
- DelVescovo , D.A. , Splitter , D.A. , Szybist , J.P. , and Jatana , G.S. Modeling Pre-Spark Heat Release and Low Temperature Chemistry of Iso-Octane in a Boosted Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion and Flame 212 2020 39 52
- Splitter , D. , Kaul , B. , Szybist , J. , and Jatana , G. Engine Operating Conditions and Fuel Properties on Pre-Spark Heat Release and Spi Promotion in Si Engines SAE International Journal of Engines 10 3 2017 1036 1050
- Hu , Z. , Zhang , J. , Sjöberg , M. , and Zeng , W. The Use of Partial Fuel Stratification to Enable Stable Ultra-Lean Deflagration-Based Spark-Ignition Engine Operation with Controlled End-Gas Autoignition of Gasoline and e85 International Journal of Engine Research 21 9 2020 1678 1695
- Yamakawa , M. , Youso , T. , Fujikawa , T. , Nishimoto , T. et al. Combustion Technology Development for a High Compression Ratio Si Engine SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants 5 1 2012 98 105
- Stone , C.R. Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines 4th Macmillan International Higher Education 2012
- Leach , F. , Stone , R. , Davy , M. , and Richardson , D.
- Leach , F.C. , Davy , M. , and Terry , B. Combustion and Emissions from Cerium Oxide Nanoparticle Dosed Diesel Fuel in a High Speed Diesel Research Engine under Low Temperature Combustion (LTC) Conditions Fuel 288 2021 119636
- Papaioannou , N. , Leach , F.C. , Davy , M.H. , Weall , A. et al. Evaluation of Exhaust Gas Recirculation Techniques on a High-Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine Using First Law Analysis Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 233 3 2019 710 726
- Leach , F. , Ismail , R. , Davy , M. , Weall , A. , and Cooper , B. Comparing the Effect of Fuel/Air Interactions in a Modern High-Speed Light-Duty Diesel Engine 13th International Conference on Engines and Vehicles sep 2017
- Bresenham , D. , Reisel , J. , and Neusen , K. Spindt Air-Fuel Ratio Method Generalization for Oxygenated Fuels SAE Transactions 107 1998 2154 2171
- Wu , Y. , Pal , P. , Som , S. , and Lu , T.
- Urushihara , T. , Nakano , T. , Shibata , G. , and Oyama , K. Correlation of Low Temperature Heat Release with Fuel Composition and Hcci Engine Combustion SAE 2005 World Congress and Exhibition, SAE International apr 2005
- Pan , J. , Zhao , P. , Law , C.K. , and Wei , H. A Predictive Livengood–Wu Correlation for Two-Stage Ignition International Journal of Engine Research 17 8 2016 825 835
- Szybist , J.P. and Splitter , D.A. Pressure and Temperature Effects on Fuels with Varying Octane Sensitivity at High Load in Si Engines Combustion and Flame 177 2017 49 66