This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation of Aerodynamic Characteristics of Three Bluff Bodies in Close Longitudinal Proximity - Part 2
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 2021 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE WCX Digital Summit
The work described in this paper is a continuation of an investigation into the effects of systematic changes in upper-body geometry on the aerodynamic drag of passenger-car-like bluff-body models in close longitudinal proximity and operating in platoon formations. The original work, presented in SAE paper 2019-01-0659, showed measurements of the aerodynamic drag of individual models within three-model platoons and for which each model was tested in three different upper-body configurations This provided a data-set of 27 platoon configurations to compare with the three baseline conditions of the isolated models. The work contrasted with other published platooning research in which the spacing, between homogeneous models in the platoons, was the only variable to be considered.
In this publication the results of further wind tunnel tests, using the same models as before but in two-model platoons, providing a further 9 test configurations are compared with the original data. In addition, the results of CFD analyses for both the two and three-model platoon configurations are reported to help provide a more detailed and illustrated explanation of the modification of flow regimes and subsequent forces due to close-proximity.
The most significant influence on drag of the proximity tests was shown to be the interference on upstream wakes due to the presence of a following model. The shielding effect provided to trailing models also resulted in a drag reduction by reducing pressure drag on upright nose surfaces. But shielding also resulted in a drag penalty by reducing flow velocity over the radiused leading edges, particularly of the A-pillars thereby reducing a low pressure zone which, in unobstructed flow, yields a drag reduction for the Windsor model.
CitationLe Good, G., Self, M., Boardman, P., and Resnick, M., "An Investigation of Aerodynamic Characteristics of Three Bluff Bodies in Close Longitudinal Proximity - Part 2," SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0952, 2021, https://doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0952.
- Hoerner , S.F. Fluid Dynamics Drag 1965
- Romberg , G. , Chianese , F. , and Lajoie , R. Aerodynamics of Race Cars in Drafting and Passing Situations SAE Technical Paper 710213 1971 https://doi.org/10.4271/710213
- Zabat , M. , Frascaroli , S. , and Browand , F. Drag Measurements on 2, 3 and 4 Car Platoons SAE Technical Paper 940421 1994 https://doi.org/10.4271/940421
- Zabat , M. , Stabile , N. , Frascaroli , S. , and Browand , F. Drag Forces Experienced by 2, 3 and 4-Vehicle Platoons at Close Spacings SAE Technical Paper 950632 1995 https://doi.org/10.4271/950632
- Michaelian , M. and Browand , F. Quantifying Platoon Fuel Savings: 1999 Field Experiments SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1268 2001 https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1268
- Hucho , W.-H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles 4th SAE 1998 0-7680-0029-7 208 209
- Ewald , H. Aerodynamische Effeckte beim Kolonnenfahren (Modelluntersuchungen) Essen Haus der Technik 1984
- Pagliarella , R. , Watkins , S. , and Tempia , A. Aerodynamic Performance of Vehicles in Platoons: The Influence of Backlight Angles SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1547 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1547
- Watkins , S. and Vino , G. The Effect of Vehicle Spacing on the Aerodynamics of a Representative Car Shape Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 96 1232 1239 2008 10.1016/j.jweia.2007.06.042
- Hesham , E. and Dominy , R. Wake and Surface Pressure Analysis of Vehicles in Platoon Journal of Wind Engineering & Industrial Aerodynamics 201 2020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2020.104144
- Schito , P. and Braghin , F. Numerical and Experimental Investigation on Vehicles in Platoon SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 5 1 63 71 2012 https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0175
- McAuliffe , B. and Ahmadi-Baloutaki , M. An Investigation of the Influence of Close-Proximity Traffic on the Aerodynamic Drag Experienced by Tractor-Trailer Combinations SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0648 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0648
- Le Good , G. , Resnick , M. , Boardman , P. , and Clough , B. Effects on the Aerodynamic Characteristics of Vehicles in Longitudinal Proximity Due to Changes in Style SAE Technical Paper 2018-37-0018 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-37-0018
- Le Good , G. , Boardman , P. , Resnick , M. , and Clough , B. An Investigation of Aerodynamic Characteristics of Three Bluff Bodies in Close Longitudinal Proximity SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0659 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0659
- Le Good , G. and Garry , K. On the Use of Reference Models in Automotive Aerodynamics SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1308 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1308
- Howell , J. and Le Good , G. Vortex Drag for a Simple Bluff Body at Incidence in Ground Proximity SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0869 2005 https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0869
- Ahmed , S. , Ramm , G. , and Faltin , G. Some Salient Features Of The Time-Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake SAE Technical Paper 840300 1984 https://doi.org/10.4271/840300
- Pagliarella , R. , Watkins , S. , and Tempia , A. The Effect of Rear Slant Angle on Vehicle Wakes and Implications for Platoons SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0341 2006 https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0341
- Hucho , W.-H. Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles 4th SAE 1998 134 0-7680-0029-7