This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Micro-Macro Acoustic Modeling of Heterogeneous Foams with Nucleation Perturbation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 30, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: 11th International Styrian Noise, Vibration & Harshness Congress: The European Automotive Noise Conference
The properties of a polyurethane foam are greatly influenced by the addition of graphite particles during the manufacturing process, initially used as a fire retardant. These thin solid particles perturbate the nucleation process by generating bubbles in their immediate vicinity. A large body of work has focused on foams that are reasonably homogeneous. In this work, we propose a modeling approach for inhomogeneous foams that includes membrane effects and allows pore size distributions to be accounted for. The cellular structure of the foam is obtained through a random Laguerre tessellation optimized from experimental properties. The structure of real foam samples is analyzed using X-ray computed tomography and scanning electron microscopy, followed by image processing, to create three-dimensional, digital models of the samples. The corresponding effective material parameters, including the permeability, the tortuosity and the viscous characteristic length, are subsequently computed by applying a numerical homogenization approach. All the numerical data are presented, discussed and gauged against experimental results.
CitationNGUYEN, C., Guilleminot, J., Detrez, F., Langlois, V. et al., "Micro-Macro Acoustic Modeling of Heterogeneous Foams with Nucleation Perturbation," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-1526, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Biot, M.A. , “Theory of Propagation of Elastic Waves in a Fluid-Saturated Porous Solid. II. Higher Frequency Range,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 28:179-191, 1956, https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1908241.
- Gao, K., Dommelen, J.A.W., and Geers, M.G.D. , “Microstructure Characterization and Homogenization of Acoustic Polyurethane Foams: Measurements and Simulations,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 100:536-546, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2016.09.024.
- Johnson, D.L., Koplik, J., and Dashen, R. , “Theory of Dynamic Permeability and Tortuosity in Fluid-Saturated Porous Media,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 176:379-402, 1987, https://doi.org/10.1017/s0022112087000727.
- Kraynik, A.M., Reinelt, D.A., and Swol, F. , “Structure of Random Monodisperse Foam,” Physical Review E 67, 2003, https://doi.org/10.1103/physreve.67.031403.
- Lafarge, D., Lemarinier, P., Allard, J.F., and Tarnow, V. , “Dynamic Compressibility of Air in Porous Structures at Audible Frequencies,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 102:1995-2006, 1997, https://doi.org/10.1121/1.419690.
- Langlois, V., Trinh, V.H., Lusso, C., Perrot, C. et al. , “Permeability of Solid Foam: Effect of Pore Connections,” Phys. Rev. E 97(5):053111, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.97.053111.
- Legland, D., Arganda-Carreras, I., and Andrey, P. , “Morpho Lib J: Integrated Library and Plugins for Mathematical Morphology with Image J,” Bioinformatics 32:3532-3534, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btw413.
- Liebscher, A., Proppe, C., Redenbach, C., and Schwarzer, D. , “Stochastic Multiscale Modeling of Metal Foams,” Procedia IUTAM 87-96, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.piutam.2013.01.010.
- Montminy, M.D., Tannenbaum, A.R., and Macosko, C.W. , “The 3D Structure of Real Polymer Foams,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 280:202-211, 2004, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2004.07.032.
- Nistor, A., Toulec, M., Zubov, A., and Kosek, J. , “Tomographic Reconstruction and Morphological Analysis of Rigid Polyurethane Foams,” Macromolecular Symposia 87-95, 2016.
- Olny, X., and Panneton, R. , “Acoustical Determination of the Parameters Governing Thermal Dissipation in Porous Media,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 123:814-824, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1121/1.2828066.
- Panneton, R., and Olny, X. , “Acoustical Determination of the Parameters Governing Viscous Dissipation in Porous Media,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 119:2027-2040, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1121/1.2169923.
- Perrot, C., Chevillotte, F., Hoang, M.T., Bonnet, G. et al. , “Microstructure, Transport, and Acoustic Properties of Open-Cell Foam Samples: Experiments and Three-Dimensional Numerical Simulations,” Journal of Applied Physics 111, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3673523.
- Quey, R. and Renversade, L. , “Optimal Polyhedral Description of 3D Polycrystals: Method and Application to Statistical and Synchrotron X-Ray Diffraction Data,” 2017.
- Redenbach, C. , “Microstructure Models for Cellular Materials,” Computational Materials Science 44:1397-1407, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.commatsci.2008.09.018.
- Salissou, Y., and Panneton, R. , “Pressure/Mass Method to Measure Open Porosity of Porous Solids,” Journal of Applied Physics 101:124913, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2749486.
- Salissou, Y., and Panneton, R. , “Wideband Characterization of the Complex Wave Number and Characteristic Impedance of Sound Absorbers,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 128:2868-2876, 2010.
- Schindelin, J., Arganda-Carreras, I., Frise, E., Kaynig, V. et al. , “Fiji: An Open-Source Platform for Biological-Image Analysis,” Nature Methods 9:676, 2012.
- Tan.Hoang, M., and Perrot, C. , “Identifying Local Characteristic Lengths Governing Sound Wave Properties in Solid Foams,” Journal of Applied Physics 113:084905, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4793492.
- Trinh, V.H., Langlois, V., Guilleminot, J., Perrot, C. et al. , “Tuning Membrane Content of Sound Absorbing Cellular Foams: Fabrication, Experimental Evidence and Multiscale Numerical Simulations,” Materials & Design 162:345-361, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2018.11.023.
- Vecchio, I., Redenbach, C., Schladitz, K., and Kraynik, A.M. , “Improved Models of Solid Foams Based on Soap Froth,” Computational Materials Science 120:60-69, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.commatsci.2016.03.029.