This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Seat Lateral Support as a Mechanical Behavior
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Seat lateral support is often talked about as a design parameter, but usually in terms of psychological perception. There are many difficulties in quantifying lateral support mechanically to the engineering teams: Anthropometric variation causes different people to interact with the seat in different places and at different angles, BPD studies are usually planar and don’t distinguish between horizontal support and vertical resistance to sinking in, most mechanical test systems are typically single-DOF and can’t apply vertical and horizontal loads concurrently, and there is scant literature describing the actual lateral loads of occupants. In this study, we characterize the actual lateral loading on example seating from various sized/shaped occupants according to dynamic pressure distribution. From this information, a six-DOF load and position control test robot (KUKA OccuBot) is used to replicate that pressure distribution. The effect of various sizes and shapes of indenters is explored. We suggest some mechanical methods to assess seat lateral support. We believe such testing will be useful in benchmarking, setting design goals and tracking progress towards those goals through the design process.
CitationO'Bannon, T., Thomas, B., Weierstall, M., Shahid, M. et al., "Characterization of Seat Lateral Support as a Mechanical Behavior," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0870, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0870.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Gamache, S.T. , “Development of a Lateral Acceleration Compensating Seat,” SAE Technical Paper 940216, 1994, https://doi.org/10.4271/940216.
- Swann, D.T. , “Adjustable Back Support Cushons,” U.S. Patent 3,348,880, October 24, 1967.
- Sakurada, K. and Nishino, T. , “Seat with Adjustable Side Support Device,” U.S. Patent 4,536,030, August 20, 1985.
- Leto, J. and Brady, A. , “Contoured Seat Covering for Automotive Vehicle Benchseat,” U.S. Patent 4,772,070, September 20, 1988.
- Schönauer, A. , “Adjustment Mechanism for the Side Support Panels of a Seat Back,” U.S. Patent 6,068,336, May 30, 2000.
- Katz, E., Kuhn, K., Schrader, J., and Schroeder, W. , “Method for Adapting Body Supportof a Passenger Seated in a Vehicle Seat in Terms of Vehicle Movements Dynamics and Corresponding Vehicle Seat,” U.S. Patent 6,873,892 B2, March 29, 2005.
- Beard, G.F. and Griffin, M.J. , “Discomfort during Lateral Acceleration: Influence of Seat Cushion and Backrest,” Applied Ergonomics 44:588-594, 2013.
- Beard, G.F. and Griffin, M.J. , “Discomfort of Seated Persons Exposed to Low Frequency Lateral and Roll Oscillation: Effect of Seat Cushion,” Applied Ergonomics 45(6):1547-1557, 2014.
- Lawton, C., Cook, S., Maya, A., Clemo, K. et al. , “Postural Support Strategies of Disabled Drivers and the Effectiveness of Postural Support Aids,” Applied Ergonomics 39(1):47-55, 2008.
- Kamper, D., Barin, K., Parnianpour, M., Reger, S. et al. , “Preliminary Investigation of the Lateral Postural Stability of Spinal Cord-Injured Individuals Subjected to Dynamic Perturbations,” Spinal Cord 37:40-46, 1999.
- Coelho, D.A. and Dahlman, S. , “A Pilot Evaluation of Car Seat Side Support: Leading to a Redefinition of the Problem,” Int. J. Industrial Ergonomics 24:201-210, 1999.
- van Rooij, L., Elrofai, H., Philippens, M.M.G.M., and Daanen, H.A.M. , “Volunteer Kinematics and Reaction in Lateral Emergency Maneuver Tests,” Stapp Car Crash Journal, 57 313-342, 2013.
- Okiyama, H., Michida, N., Nishikawa, K., and Nouzawa, T. , “Objective Evaluation of Seat Lateral Support for Cornering,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0387, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-0387.
- Okiyama, H., Michida, N., and Matsuhashi, K. , “Seat Lateral Support Evaluation with SAE Manikin,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1006, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-1006.
- Kim, S., Kim, Y.M., Choi, S.M., Kim, Y.H. et al. , “Measurement of an Occupant’s Lateral Motion by Using the Inertial Measurement Unit,” . In: Stanton, N., editor. Advances in Human Aspects of Transportation, AHFE 2018. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, (2018), 786.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice , “Motor Vehicle Seat Comfort Performance Measures,” SAE Standard J2896, Jan. 2012.
- Moss, S., Wang, Z., Salloum, M., Reed, M. et al. , “Anthropometry for WorldSID: A World-Harmonized Midsize Male Side Impact Crash Dummy,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2202, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2202.