This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Decision Based Mobility Model for Semi and Fully Autonomous Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With the emergence of intelligent ground vehicles, an objective evaluation of vehicle mobility has become an even more challenging task. Vehicle mobility refers to the ability of a ground vehicle to traverse from one point to another, preferably in an optimal way. Numerous techniques exist for evaluating the mobility of vehicles on paved roads, both quantitatively and qualitatively, however, capabilities to evaluate their off-road performance remains limited. Whereas a vehicle’s off-road mobility may be significantly enhanced with intelligence, it also introduces many new variables into the decision making process that must be considered. In this paper, we present a decision analytic framework to accomplish this task. In our approach, a vehicle’s mobility is modeled using an operator’s preferences over multiple mobility attributes of concern. We also provide a method to analyze various operating scenarios including the ability to mitigate uncertainty in the vehicles inputs. An example of this is the collection of soil properties data using techniques such as remote sensing. Operators of these vehicles are interested in finding the value of collecting such information. We present our approach on a vehicle selection decision between ground vehicles exhibiting different levels of autonomy.
CitationPandey, V., Slon, C., Deschenes, L., Gorsich, D. et al., "A Decision Based Mobility Model for Semi and Fully Autonomous Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0747, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0747.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- ADAMS , http://www.mscsoftware.com/product/adams, accessed Oct. 20, 2019.
- Ahlvin, R.B. and Haley, P.W. , “NATO Reference Mobility Model: Edition II,” NRMM User’s Guide, US Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station, 1992.
- Bradbury, M., Dasch, J., Gonzalez, R., Hodges, H. et al. , “Next-Generation NATO Reference Mobility Model (NG-NRMM) (No. 27829),” Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center (TARDEC) Warren United States, 2016.
- Ciobotaru, T. , “Semi-Empiric Algorithm for Assessment of the Vehicle Mobility,” Leonardo Electronic Journal of Practices and Technologies 8(15):19-30, 2009.
- Clemen, R.T. and Reilly, T. , Making Hard Decisions with DecisionTools (Cengage Learning, 2013), 848.
- Department of Defense, Defense Science Board , “Task Force Report, 2012: ‘The Role of Autonomy in DoD Systems’,” https://fas.org/irp/agency/dod/dsb/autonomy.pdf, accessed Oct. 20, 2019.
- Gill, J. , Bayesian Methods: A Social and Behavioral Sciences Approach (Chapman and Hall/CRC, 2014).
- Gonzalez, R., Jayakumar, P., and Iagnemma, K. , “Generation of Stochastic Mobility Maps for Large-Scale Route Planning of Ground Vehicles: A Case Study,” Journal of Terramechanics 69:1-11, 2017.
- Gorsich, D.J., Jayakumar, P., Cole, M.P., Crean, C.M. et al. , “Evaluating Mobility vs. Latency in Unmanned Ground Vehicles,” Journal of Terramechanics 80:11-19, 2018.
- Haley, P.W., Jurkat, M.P., and Brady, P.M. , “NATO Reference Mobility Model-NRMM, Edition I, User’s Guide, Volume I,” Operational Modules, Technical Report 12503, US Army Tank-Automotive Research and Development Command, Warren, MI, 1979.
- Hegazy, S. and Sandu, C. , “Experimental Investigation of Vehicle Mobility Using a Novel Wheel Mobility Number,” Journal of Terramechanics 50(5-6):303-310, 2013.
- Jabbarpour, M.R., Zarrabi, H., Jung, J.J., and Kim, P. , “A Green Ant-Based Method for Path Planning of Unmanned Ground Vehicles,” IEEE Access 5:1820-1832, 2017.
- Lessem, A., Mason, G., and Ahlvin, R. , “Stochastic Vehicle Mobility Forecasts Using the NATO Reference Mobility Model,” Journal of Terramechanics 33(6):273-280, 1996.
- CarSim “Mechanical Simulation - CarSim,” https://www.carsim.com/, accessed Oct. 20, 2019.
- MotionView “Multi-Body Simulation - Kinematics and Dynamics - MotionView,” http://www.altairhyperworks.com/product/motionsolve/motionview, accessed Oct. 20, 2019.
- Ort, T., Paull, L., and Rus, D. , “Autonomous Vehicle Navigation in Rural Environments without Detailed Prior Maps,” in 2018 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), May 2018, IEEE, 2040-2047.
- Pandey, V. , Decision Based Design First Edition (Taylor & Francis, 2013), 284.
- Parasuraman, R., Caccamo, S., Båberg, F., Ögren, P. et al. , “A New UGV Teleoperation Interface for Improved Awareness of Network Connectivity and Physical Surroundings,” Journal of Human-Robot Interaction 6(3):48-70, 2017.
- Pinto, E.J. , “A Three Dimensional Discretized Tire Model for Soft Soil Applications,” Doctoral dissertation, Virginia Tech, 2012.
- Priddy, J.D. , “Stochastic Vehicle Mobility Forecasts Using the NATO Reference Mobility Model. Report 3. Database Development for Statistical Analysis of the NRMM II Cross-Country Traction Empirical Relationships (No. WES/TR/GL-95-8),” 1995.
- Rank, M., Shi, Z., Müller, H.J., and Hirche, S. , “Predictive Communication Quality Control in Haptic Teleoperation with Time Delay and Packet Loss,” IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems 46(4):581-592, 2016.
- Shoop, S.A. , “Terrain Characterization for Trafficability (No. CRREL-93-6),” Cold Regions Research and Engineering Lab, Hanover, NH, 1993.
- Slon, C. and Pandey, V. , “Reconciling Co-Evolving Engineering and Customer Requirements with a Looped Bayesian Model” in ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences, Anaheim CA, 2019.
- Storms, J., Chen, K., and Tilbury, D. , “A Semi-Autonomous Control Method to Improve Performance of Small Unmanned Ground Vehicles with Communication Latency,” in ASME 2016 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection, 2016.
- Taheri, S., Sandu, C., Taheri, S., Pinto, E. et al. , “A Technical Survey on Terramechanics Models for Tire-Terrain Interaction Used in Modeling and Simulation of Wheeled Vehicles,” Journal of Terramechanics 57:1-22, 2015.
- Umsrithong, A. and Sandu, C. , “A 3D Semi-Empirical On-Road Transient Tire Model,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 3(1):42-59, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1916.
- Vong, T.T., Haas, G.A., and Henry, C.L. , “NATO Reference Mobility Model (NRMM) Modeling of the Demo III Experimental Unmanned Ground Vehicle (XUV) (No. ARL-MR-435),” 1999.
- Vozar, S., Storms, J., and Tilbury, D.M. , “Development and Analysis of an Operator Steering Model for Teleoperated Mobile Robots under Constant and Variable Latencies,” Robotica 36(2):167-186, 2018.
- Wojtusch, J., Taubert, D., Graber, T., and Nergaard, K. , “Evaluation of Human Factors for Assessing Human-Robot Interaction in Delayed Teleoperation,” in 2018 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC), Oct. 2018, IEEE, 3787-3792.
- Yang, S., Wang, W., Liu, C., Deng, W. et al. . “Feature Analysis and Selection for Training an End-to-End Autonomous Vehicle Controller Using Deep Learning Approach,” in 2017 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), June 2017, IEEE, 1033-1038.