This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization and Numerical Simulation Applied to Design of Stamping Dies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The stamping process is commonly used, it is easily found in vehicles manufacturing. The stamping tool is composed by elements such as: die, punch, drawbeads and blankholder. The objective of this paper is to improve the structural stiffness and to reduce the weight of die through numerical optimization. Usually are used standardized stamping tool's parts that follows standard guidelines. The only part of stamping tool considered in the methodology was the die, other parts like punch and blankholder can also be optimized. A vehicle hood was designed in CAD and after that it was exported to CAE to start the simulations, the first step was the die generation. After that, a stamping process was simulated and the contact forces in the die were extracted and then applied in the control volume designed in CAD. Finally, the constraints, objectives and parameters were changed, so the topological optimization was generated. The results were interpreted and a layout were design in CAD following the pattern given by the optimization. Two different load cases are applied to the die tool, one transportation case and one operation case. The last geometry designed was meshed and submitted at the same load obtained in the stamping simulation process. Displacement and stress simulations caused by loads and own die weight were done. The same process was used in the standard die. The final results show a weight reduction of 13.64% and a decrease in max stress of 18.11%. The obtained results prove the importance of a topological optimization in this kind of project.
CitationAndrade, O. and Silveira, M., "Optimization and Numerical Simulation Applied to Design of Stamping Dies," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0142, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0142.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Huang, B., Ma, G. “Optimization of Process Parameters of Stamping Forming of the Automotive Lower Floor Board.” J. of Applied Mathematics 10.1155/2014/470320, 2014.
- Benazzi, I. J., Caversan, E. G. “Tecnologia de estampagem,” http://www.eterfs.com.br/material/mecanica/apostila_de_estampo_fatec-220813-2.pdf, September 2017.
- ArcelorMittal , “Agos Inoxidàveis, Consideragoes sobre estampagem,” http://guides.com.br/home/wpcontent/uplods/2011/12/inox-estampagem.pdf, September 2017.
- Madi, M. , “Avaliagäo, Simulagäo e Otimizagäo da Velocidade de Estampagem na Conformagäo do Ago Inoxidável DP 600,” Postgraduation thesis, Mechanical Engineering Department, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Brazil, 2016.
- Azamirad, G., Arezoo, B., “Structural Design of Stamping Die Components Using Bi-Directional Evolutionary Structural Optimization Method,” J. Springer London, 2015, doi:10.1007/s00170-016-8344-7
- Pegden, C. D., Shannon, E. E., Sadowski, R. P., “Introduction to Simulation Using SIMAN, Second Edition, (New York, McGraw-Hill, 1995), ISBN:0070493200.
- Cunha, P. M. , “Numerical Simulation of the Warm Deep Drawing Process,” Postgraduation thesis, Mechanical Engineering Department, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal, 2016.
- Coutinho, K. D. , “Método de Otimizagäo Topológica em Estruturas Tridimensionais,” Postgraduation thesis, Mechanical Engineering Department, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil, 2006.
- Bendsoe, M. , “Optimal Shape Design as a Material Distribution Problem,” Int. J. Structural Optimization. 10.1007/BF01650949, 1989.
- Scapa, J. R., Christ, G., Kistner, M., OptiStruct (Student Edition, 2017), Computer Software, Altair Engineering Inc., Troy, MI, 1985.
- Bauccio, M. , “ASMMetals Reference Book, Third Edition,” (Materials Park, OH, ASM International, 1993) ISBN: 978-0-87170-478-8.
- Juvinall, Robert C. , “Fundamentals of machine component design, Fourth Edition,” (New Jersey, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005) ISBN-10: 0471661775.
- Birath, F., Nilsson, A., “Topology Optimization of Stamping Die,” Master's Dissertation, Division of Solid Mechanics, Lund University, Sweden, 2006.