Progress of Direct Injection and Jet Ignition in Throttle-Controlled Engines
Published January 9, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation of this paper is available
Direct injection and jet ignition is becoming popular in electrically assisted, turbocharged, F1 engines because of the pressure to reduce fuel consumption. Operation from homogeneous stoichiometric up to lean of stoichiometry stratified about λ = 1.5, occurs with fast combustion of reduced cyclic variability thanks to the enhanced ignition by multiple jets of hot, partially reacting products travelling through the combustion chamber. The fuel consumption has thus been drastically reduced in an engine that is, however, still mostly throttle controlled. The aim of the present paper is to show the advantages of direct injection and jet ignition based on model simulations of the operation of a high-performance throttle-controlled engine featuring rotary valves.
CitationBoretti, A., "Progress of Direct Injection and Jet Ignition in Throttle-Controlled Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0045, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0045.
- Boretti, A., “F1 Style MGU-H Applied to the Turbocharger of a Gasoline Hybrid Electric Passenger Car,” Nonlinear Engineering, 2017, doi:10.1515/nleng-2016-0069.
- Lumsden, G. and Watson, H., “Optimum Control of an S.I. Engine with a λ = 5 Capability,” SAE Technical Paper 950689, 1995, doi:10.4271/950689.
- Boretti, A., Brear, M., and Watson, H., “Experimental and Numerical Study of a Hydrogen Fuelled I.C. Engine Fitted with the Hydrogen Assisted Jet Ignition System,” Proceedings of the Sixteenth Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference, Gold Coast, Australia, Dec. 3-7, 2007.
- Boretti, A., “The Future of the Internal Combustion Engine After ‘Diesel-Gate’,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-28-1933, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-28-1933.
- Boretti, A. and Scalzo, J., “Design of 65 degree V4 Moto GP Engines with Pneumatic Poppet Valves or Rotary Valves,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0176, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-26-0176.
- Boretti, A., Jiang, S., and Scalzo, J., “A Naturally Aspirated Four Stroke Racing Engine with One Intake and One Exhaust Horizontal Rotary Valve per Cylinder and Central Direct Injection and Ignition by Spark or Jet,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0006, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0006.
- Watson, H., Boretti, A., Chow, P., and Wallis, T., “Top Land Crevice and Piston Deflection Effects on Combustion in a High Speed Rotary Valve Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-3005, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-3005.
- Boretti, A., “Stoichiometric H2ices with Water Injection,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36:4469-4473, 2011, doi:10.1016/J.IJHYDENE.2010.11.117.
- Boretti, A., “Water Injection in Directly Injected Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engines,” Applied Thermal Engineering 52:62-68, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2012.11.016.
- Boretti, A. and Scalzo, J., “Influence of Water Injection on Performance and Emissions of a Direct Injection Jet Ignition Engine,” Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering Technology 3:29-35, 2015, doi:10.12974/2311-8741.2015.03.01.4.
- Boretti, A. and Scalzo, J., “Influence of Water Injection on Performance and Emissions of a Direct Injection Jet Ignition Engine,” Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering Technology 3(1):29-35, Dec. 2015.
- Boretti, A. and Jiang, S., “Two Stroke Direct Injection Jet Ignition Engines for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2424, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2424.
- Boretti, A., “Super-Turbocharging the Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0007, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-28-0007.