This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Body in White Weight Optimization Using Equivalent Static Loads
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2018 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Structural optimization has evolved vastly based on the development of computational based analysis – CAE. Structural optimization is usually a linear static response optimization because nonlinear response structural optimization is very expensive to perform. But in the real world, most of the automobile load cases are non-linear in nature. Equivalent static load structural optimization is a structural optimization method where Equivalent Static Loads (ESLs) are utilized as external loads for linear static response optimization. ESL is defined as the static load that generates the similar displacement by an analysis which is not linear static. This paper explains the development of a weight optimized BIW structure from an already existing model satisfying the NVH and Crash requirements. Basic structural crash loads are converted into ESLs with appropriate constraints. Sufficient number of load cases are considered which governs the structural integrity of the complete BIW for weight optimization.
|Technical Paper||Design Exploration of Bumper Systems Using Advanced CAE Techniques|
|Technical Paper||First Order Analysis for Automotive Body Structure Design - Part 1: Overview and Applications|
|Technical Paper||Computer Aided Design of Hood Hinges|
CitationS, V., Avinash, D., Patil, G., Suhas, P. et al., "Body in White Weight Optimization Using Equivalent Static Loads," SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0482, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0482.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Greene, W.H. and Haftka, R.T., “Computational Aspects of Sensitivity Calculations in Transient Structural Analysis,” Computers and Structures 32:433-443, 1989.
- Choi, W.S., Kang, S.C., Shin, M.J., and Park, G.J., “Transformation of a Dynamic Load into an Equivalent Static Load and Shape Optimization of the Road Arm in Self-Propelled Howitzer,” KSME 20:3767-3781, 1996.
- Kang, B.S., Choi, W.S., and Park, G.J., “Structural Optimization under Equivalent Static Loads Transformed from Dynamic Loads Based on Displacement,” Computers and Structures 79:145-154, 2001.
- Choi, W.S. and Park, G.J., “Structural Optimization Using Equivalent Static Loads at All Time Intervals,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 191:2077-2094, 2002.
- Park, G.J., “Technical Overview of the Equivalent Static Loads Method for Non-linear Static Response Structural Optimization,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 43:319-337, 2011.
- Park G.J, “Equivalent Static Loads Method for Non-Linear Static Response Structural Optimization,” Proceedings of 9th LS-DYNA Forum, Bamberg, Germany, 2010.
- Reed C, “Applications of OptiStruct Optimization to Body-In-White Design,” Proceedings of 7th Altair CAE Technology Conference, 2002.
- Gao, Y. and Sun, F., “Multi-Disciplinary Optimization for Front Auto Body Based on Multiple Optimization Methods,” International Journal of Vehicle Design 57(2/3):178-195, 2011.
- Christensen, J., Bastien, C., Blundell, M., Gittens, A. et al., “Lightweight Hybrid Electrical Vehicle Structural Topology Optimization Investigation Focusing on Crashworthiness,” International Journal Vehicle Structures & Systems 3(2):113-122, 2011.
- Christensen, J., Bastien, C., and Blundell, M.V., “Effects of Roof Crush Loading Scenario upon Body in White Using Optimization,” International Journal of Crashworthiness 17(1):29-38, 2012.
- Malen, D.E., “Fundamentals of Automobile Body Structure Design,” (Warrendale, SAE International, 2011), ISBN:978-0-7680-2169-1.
- Du Bois, P. et al., “Vehicle Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection,” American Iron and Steel Institute, Auto Steel, 2004.
- Ramon-Villalonga, L., Enderich, Th., “Advanced Vehicle Simulation Techniques for Low Speed Vehicle Impacts,” 6th LS-DYNA Anwenderforum, Frankenthal, 25-36, 2007.
- Altair Hyper Works Manual, 2014.