This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Natural-Gas Direct-Injection for Spark-Ignition Engines - A Review on Late-Injection Studies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 10, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Significant research has been made on traditional pre-mixed charge Spark-Ignition Natural-Gas engines which have seen widespread usage across the automotive sector. Many researchers including those in industry are now exploring the Direct-Injection concept for Natural-Gas Spark-Ignition engines. Direct-Injection has significant performance benefits over port-fuel injection, primarily due to increased volumetric efficiency as a result of injecting the fuel after intake valve closure. This could lead to enhanced driving performance over port-fuel injection comparable to gasoline engines. Furthermore, Direct-Injection with increased compression ratio in conjunction with downsizing concepts has the potential to increase thermal efficiency while exhibiting significantly lower CO2 emissions. Advanced combustion strategies like stratified mixture combustion has been widely studied for gasoline and proven to increase the low load thermal efficiency over homogeneous stoichiometric combustion. If successfully implemented, similar benefits can be expected with Natural-Gas as well. However, currently there is no Direct-Injection Natural-Gas vehicle in production and there are gaps in the literature as research in this area is relatively new. Mixture formation, ignition and combustion processes are not fully understood. Nevertheless, attempts have been made to explore the potential of stratified combustion. This paper provides a comprehensive literature review on such studies and highlights the challenges involved in developing such combustion systems.
CitationSankesh, D. and Lappas, P., "Natural-Gas Direct-Injection for Spark-Ignition Engines - A Review on Late-Injection Studies," SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0067, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-26-0067.
- Fifth Assessment Report (AR5). Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), 2014
- Nijboer, M., “The Contribution of Natural Gas Vehicles to Sustainable Transport”, International Energy Agency, 2010
- Cho, H. M. and He, B. Q., “Spark ignition natural gas engines - A review,” Energy Conversion and Management, 48: 608-618, 2007.
- Korakianitis, T., Namasivayam A.M., and Crookes R.J., Natural-gas fueled spark-ignition (SI) and compression-ignition (CI) engine performance and emissions. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 2011. 37(1): p. 89-112
- North American Environmental Report, Honda, 2015
- BP Statistical Review of World Energy June 2015
- Caley, D., and Cathcart, G., “Development of a Natural Gas Spark Ignited Direct Injection Combustion System”, NGV 2006
- Husted, H., Karl, G., Schilling, S., and Weber, C., “Direct Injection of CNG for Driving Performance with Low CO2”, 23rd Aachen Colloquium, October 6-8, 2014
- Robert Bosch GmbH, 2015. “Direct injection for CNG engines: more efficiency, more driving enjoyment”, Bosch Media Service. Available: http://www.bosch.se/en/se/nyhetscenter/nyheter/nyheter-detail-page_74496.php. Accessed on 31/08/2016
- Heywood, John B. 1988. “Internal combustion engine fundamentals”. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Arcoumanis, C., Kamimoto, T (Editors.), “Flow and Combustion in engines”, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, ISBN 978-3-540-68901-0, 2009, doi 10.1007/978-3-540-68901-0
- Miura, A., Honjou, F., Nakamura, A., Harayama, N., et al., “Further Development of Fuel Consumption For Heavy-duty CNG Engine”, FISITA World Automotive Congress, Seoul, Korea, 2000
- Honjo, F., Miura, A., Nakamura, A., and Tsuchiya, T., “Development of Stratified Charged Combustion CNG Engine”, NGV 2002
- Kubesh, J., "Development of a Throttleless Natural Gas Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2522, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-2522.
- Shiga, S., Ozone, S., Machacon, H,T,C., Karasawa, et al., “A study of the combustion and emission characteristics of compressed-natural-gas direct-injection stratified combustion using a rapid-compression-machine”, Combustion and Flame, 2002. 129(1-2): p. 1-10.
- NICE Report Summary, Available: http://cordis.europa.eu/publication/rcn/12052_en.html. Accessed 31/08/2016
- INGAS Final Report, Available: http://www.ingas-eu.org/ Accessed 31/08/2016
- “Efficiency Improvement of Vehicles, Extremely low carbon dioxide emissions applying biogas”, Available: http://www.virtuellesbiogas.at/node/379. Accessed 31/08/2016
- Stütz, H., “Direct Biogas Injection in a Hybrid Powertrain Engine”, A3PS Conference - Transport Fuels, 2008, Vienna
- Baratta, M., Catania, A.E., and Pesce, F.C., “CNG injector nozzle design and flow prediction”, ASME paper ICEF2010-35104, IC Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, September 2010, Texas, USA
- Baratta, M., Rapetto, N., Spessa, E., Fuerhapter, A. et al., "Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Mixture Formation and Performance in a Direct Injection CNG Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0401, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0401.
- Rapetto, N., “A Comprehensive Analysis of Natural Gas Direct Injection and of Mixture Formation in Spark Ignition Engines”, Ph.D. thesis, Politecnico di Torino, Turin, Italy, 2000.
- Chiodi, M., Berner, H., and Bargende, M., "Investigation on different Injection Strategies in a Direct-Injected Turbocharged CNG-Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3000, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3000.
- Friedrich, W., Grzeszik, R., and Wensing, M., "Mixture Formation in a CNG-DI Engine in Stratified Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2015-24-2474, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-24-2474.
- Davy, M., Evans, R., and Mezo, A., "The Ultra Lean Burn Partially Stratified Charge Natural Gas Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2009-24-0115, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-24-0115.
- Zoldak, P. and Naber, J., "Spark Ignited Direct Injection Natural Gas Combustion in a Heavy Duty Single Cylinder Test Engine - Start of Injection and Spark Timing Effects," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2813, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2813.
- Zoldak, P., John Joseph, J., Shelley, W., Johnson, J. et al., "Characterization of Partially Stratified Direct Injection of Natural Gas for Spark-Ignited Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0937, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0937.
- Yuichi, G., “Mixture formation and ignition in a Direct-Injection Natural-Gas engine”, JSME Int Journal B Fluids Therm Eng 42(2):268-274, 1999
- Senoo, T., Sasaki, M., and Shioji, M., “Spark-Ignition Stability of Natural-Gas Jets with Impingement on Cavity Wall”, 2010, FISITA World Automotive Congress
- Thipse, S., Sonawane, S., D' Souza, A., Rairikar, S. et al., "Injection Strategies, Optimization and Simulation Techniques on DI CNG Technology," SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0046, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-26-0046.
- Fawzi Mohd Ali M., Kodoguchi, Y., Oka Y., and Kaida, T., "Improvement of Combustion of CNG Engine using CNG Direct Injection and Gas-jet Ignition Method," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1994, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1994.
- Kalam, M., Masjuki, H., Mahlia, T., Fuad, M. et al., "Experimental Test of a New Compressed Natural Gas Engine with Direct Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1967, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1967.
- Hagos, Y., Aziz, A.R.A, Sulaiman, S., and Firmansyah., “Combustion Characteristics of Late Injected CNG in a Spark Ignition Engine under Lean Operating Condition”, Journal of Applied Sciences, 12: 2368-2375, 2012
- Shahzad, R., Naveenchandran, P., and Aziz, A.R.A, "Characteristics of Lean and Stoichiometric Combustion of Compressed Natural Gas in a Direct Injection Engine", Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vols. 110-116, pp. 357-369, 2012
- Firmansyah., and Aziz, A.R.A., “Thermodynamic Analysis of CNG DI Engine Operating with Different Spray Angle.” paper presented at the Communication Software and Networks (ICCSN), 2011 IEEE 3rd International Conference on, 27-29 May 2011
- Yusoff, A., Shamsudeen, A., Abdullah, S and Aziz, A.R.A., “The Effect of Spray Angles of the Injector on the Power of Compressed Natural Gas Direct Injection (CNGDI) Engine.” AIP Conference Proceedings 1440, no. 1 (2012): 436-43
- Melaika, M. and Dahlander, P., "Experimental Investigation of Methane Direct Injection with Stratified Charge Combustion in Optical SI Single Cylinder Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0797, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0797.
- Schwarz, C., Schünemann, E., Durst, B., Fischer, J. et al., "Potentials of the Spray-Guided BMW DI Combustion System," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1265, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1265.
- Abraham, J., Magi, V., MacInnes, J., and Bracco, F., "Gas Versus Spray Injection: Which Mixes Faster?," SAE Technical Paper 940895, 1994, doi:10.4271/940895.
- Ouellette, P., and Hill P. G.. "Turbulent Transient Gas Injections", ASME, Journal of Fluids Engineering, 1999; 122(4):743-52. doi: 10.1115/1.1319845
- Hill, P.G., and Ouellette, P. “Transient Turbulent Gaseous Fuel Jets for Diesel Engines”, ASME, Journal of Fluids Engineering, 1999; 121(1):93-101. doi:10.1115/1.2822018
- Rogers, T., Petersen, P., and Lappas, P., "Flow Characteristics of Compressed Natural Gas Delivery for Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0002, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-0002.
- Friedrich, W., Grzeszik, R., Helmich, M., Bossmeyer, T., et al., “Characterization of High Pressure Natural Gas Injections for Stratified Operation of a Spark Ignited Engine by Simultaneous Fuel Concentration and Air Entrainment Measurements”, 18th International Symposium on Application of Laser and Imaging Techniques, Lisbon, Portugal, 2016
- Ouelette, P. and Hill, P., "Visualization of Natural Gas Injection for aCompression Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 921555, 1992, doi:10.4271/921555.
- Kuensch, Z., Schlatter, S., Keskinen, K., Hulkkonen, T. et al., "Experimental Investigation on the Gas Jet Behavior for a Hollow Cone Piezoelectric Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-2749, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2749.
- Seboldt, D., Lejsek, D., Wentsch, M., Chiodi, M. et al., "Numerical and Experimental Studies on Mixture Formation with an Outward-Opening Nozzle in a SI Engine with CNG-DI," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0801, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0801.
- Kim, Gi-Heon, Allan Kirkpatrick, and Charles Mitchell. "Computational Modeling of Natural Gas Injection in a Large Bore Engine." Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 126, no. 3 (2004): 656-64
- Olsen, B., and Wilson, B., “The Impact of Cylinder Pressure on Fuel Jet Penetration and Mixing”, ASME Paper ICEF 2002-502, IC Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, September, 2002, New Orleans, USA.
- Bartolucci, L., Scarcelli, R., Wallner, T., Swantek, A. et al., "CFD and X-Ray Analysis of Gaseous Direct Injection from an Outward Opening Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0850, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0850.
- Wentsch, M., Chiodi, M., Bargende, M., Seboldt, D., et al, “3D-CFD analysis on scavenging and mixture formation for CNG direct injection with an outward-opening nozzle”, 16th International Stuttgart Symposium, Germany, 2016.