This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation of the Impact of Nozzle Endwall Clearance Distribution on Variable Nozzle Turbine Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 28, 2017 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
As the variable nozzle turbine(VNT) becomes an important element in engine fuel economy and engine performance, improvement of turbine efficiency over wide operation range is the main focus of research efforts for both academia and industry in the past decades. It is well known that in a VNT, the nozzle endwall clearance has a big impact on the turbine efficiency, especially at small nozzle open positions. However, the clearance at hub and shroud wall sides may contribute differently to the turbine efficiency penalty. When the total height of nozzle clearance is fixed, varying distribution of nozzle endwall clearance at the hub and shroud sides may possibly generate different patterns of clearance leakage flow at nozzle exit that has different interaction with and impact on the main flow when it enters the inducer. It is possible that variation of the nozzle endwall clearances between hub side and shroud side, e.g. tiny transverse movement of nozzle vanes along their pivotal shafts, results in significant deviations in turbine aerodynamic performances at some operation conditions. In this paper, the deviations of turbine efficiency at three typical nozzle vane openings and different rotational speeds, with different distribution of nozzle endwall clearances were numerically analyzed. It was found that when the total height of nozzle clearances is fixed, changing the nozzle endwall clearance distribution between the hub and shroud sides can impact the turbine performance, and shifting clearance towards hub side can effectively improve the VNT turbine efficiency, especially at high speed ratio and small vane open positions.
CitationZhao, B., Hu, L., Engeda, A., and Sun, H., "Numerical Investigation of the Impact of Nozzle Endwall Clearance Distribution on Variable Nozzle Turbine Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1034, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1034.
- Hu, L., Sun, H., Yi, J., Curtis, E. et al., "Investigation of Nozzle Clearance Effects on a Radial Turbine: Aerodynamic Performance and Forced Response," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0918, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0918.
- Tamaki, H., Goto, S., Unno, M. et al. "The Effect of Clearance Flow of Variable Area Nozzles on Radial Turbine Performance," ASME Turbo Expo 2008: Power for Land, Sea, and Air, GT2008-50461, 2008.
- Hu, L., Yang, C., Sun, H. et al., "Numerical Analysis of Nozzle Clearance's Effect on Turbine Performance," Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 24(4): 618-625. 2011.
- Zhao, B., Yang, C., Hu, L. et al., "Understanding of the Interaction between Clearance Leakage Flow and Main Passage Flow in a Vgt Turbine," Advances in Mechanical Engineering, 7(2): 652769:1-11. 2015.
- Shi, X., Yang, C., Liu, Y.H. et al. "Numerical Investigation on the High-Cycle Pressure Fluctuation Mechanism of Vnt Rotor," 11th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, C1384-009, 2014. DOI: 10.1533/978081000342.411.
- Shi, X., Guo, S., Zhao, B. et al. "Numerical Investigation of the Effect of Different Nozzle Clearance at Hub and Shroud Side on Variable Nozzle Turbine Performance," C6231-104, 2016.
- Roumeas, M. and Cros, S. "Aerodynamic Investigation of a Nozzle Clearance Effect on Radial Turbine Performance," ASME Turbo Expo 2012: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition, GT2012-68835, 2012.
- Walkingshaw, J., Spence, S., Thornhill, D. et al. "An Experimental Assessment of the Effects of Stator Vane Cl Earance Location on an Automotive Turbocharger Turbine," Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, C1340-007, 2012.
- Zhao, B., Ma, C., Hu, L. et al., "Numerical Investigation on Effects of Uncertain Nozzle Vane Clearance on Variable Geometry Radial Turbine Performance," Journal of Propulsion Technology, 35(4): 492-498. 2014. (in Chinese)
- Zhao, B., Ma, C., Hu, L. et al., "Effect of Different Matching States of Both Nozzle Vane's Clearances on the Performance in a Variable Geometry Turbine," Transactions of Beijing Institute of Technology, 34(9): 929-933. 2014. (in Chinese)