This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lateral Stability Control Algorithm of Intelligent Electric Vehicle Based on Dynamic Sliding Mode Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 14, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new lateral stability control method, which is based on vehicle sideslip angle and tire cornering stiffness estimation, is proposed to improve the lateral stability of the four-in-wheel-motor-driven electric vehicle (FIWMD-EV) in this paper. Through the lateral tire force information, vehicle sideslip angle can be estimated by the extended kalman filter (EKF). Using the estimated vehicle sideslip angle, tire cornering stiffness can be also estimated by forgetting factor recursive least squares (FFRLS). Furthermore, combining with the vehicle dynamics model, an adaptive control target model is proposed with the information on vehicle sideslip angle and tire cornering stiffness. The new lateral stability control system uses the direct yaw moment control (DYC) based on dynamic sliding mode is proposed. The performance and effectiveness of the proposed vehicle state estimation and lateral stability control system are verified by CarSim and Simulink cosimulation. Comparing with the traditional PI control algorithm, the robustness of the dynamic sliding mode controller has been demonstrated.
CitationWang, X., Zhao, Y., Lian, Y., and Tian, Y., "Lateral Stability Control Algorithm of Intelligent Electric Vehicle Based on Dynamic Sliding Mode Control," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1902, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1902.
- Hori, Y., “Future vehicle driven by electricity and control-research on four-wheel-motored ‘UOT Electric March II’,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 51(5): 954-962, 2004, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2004.834944.
- Anderson, R., and Bevly D. M., “Estimation of tire cornering stiffness using GPS to improve model based estimation of vehicle states,” IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium. 801-806, 2005, doi: 10.1109/IVS.2005.1505203.
- Nguyen, B. M., Nam, K., Fujimoto, H., and Hori, Y., “Proposal of cornering stiffness estimation without vehicle side slip angle using lateral force sensor,” 2011, IIC, 11: 140.
- Nam, K., Fujimoto, H., and Hori, Y., “Lateral stability control of in-wheel-motor-driven electric vehicles based on sideslip angle estimation using lateral tire force sensors,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 61(5): 1972-1985, 2012, doi: 10.1109/TVT.2012.2191627.
- Lian, Y., Zhao, Y., Hu, L., and Tian, Y., “Cornering stiffness and sideslip angle estimation based on simplified lateral dynamic models for four-in-wheel-motor-driven electric vehicles with lateral tire force information,” International Journal of Automotive Technology. 16(4): 669-683, 2015, doi: 10.1007/s12239-015-0068-4.
- Doumiati, M., Victorino, A. C., Charara, A., and Lechner, D., “Onboard real-time estimation of vehicle lateral tire-road forces and sideslip angle,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. 16(4): 601-614, 2011, doi: 10.1109/TMECH.2010.2048118.
- Wang, Y., Nguyen, B. M., Fujimoto, H., and Hori, Y., “Multirate estimation and control of body slip angle for electric vehicles based on onboard vision system,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 61(2): 1133-1143, 2014, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2013.2271596.
- Bevly, D. M., Ryu, J., and Gerdes, J. C., “Integrating INS sensors with GPS measurements for continuous estimation of vehicle sideslip, roll, and tire cornering stiffness,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. 7(4): 483-493, 2006, doi: 10.1109/TITS.2006.883110.
- Nguyen, B. M., Wang, Y., Fujimoto, H., and Hori, Y., “Lateral Stability Control of Electric Vehicle Based On Disturbance Accommodating Kalman Filter using the Integration of Single Antenna GPS Receiver and Yaw Rate Sensor,” Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology. 8(4): 899-910, 2013, doi: 10.5370/JEET.2013.8.4.899.
- Ono, K., Takizawa, T., and Aoki, M., “Preload measuring device for double row rolling bearing unit,” U.S. Patent 12/282,340. March 9, 2007.
- Nam, K., Oh, S., Fujimoto, H., and Hori, Y., “Vehicle state estimation for advanced vehicle motion control using novel lateral tire force sensors,” IEEE American Control Conference. 4853-4858, 2011, doi: 10.1109/ACC.2011.5990916.
- Nam, K., Oh, S., Fujimoto, H., and Hori, Y., “Estimation of sideslip and roll angles of electric vehicles using lateral tire force sensors through RLS and Kalman filter approaches,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 60(3): 988-1000, 2013, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2012.2188874.
- Kim, J., Park, C., Hwang, S., Hori, Y. et al., “Control algorithm for an independent motor-drive vehicle,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 59(7): 3213-3222, 2010, doi: 10.1109/TVT.2010.2053566.
- Cong, G., Mostefai, L., Denai, M., and Hori, Y., “Direct yaw-moment control of an in-wheel-motored electric vehicle based on body slip angle fuzzy observer,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics. 56(5): 1411-1419, 2009, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2009.2013737.
- Nam, K., Fujimoto, H., and Hori Y., “Advanced motion control of electric vehicles based on robust lateral tire force control via active front steering,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. 19(1): 289-299, 2014, doi: 10.1109/TMECH.2012.2233210.
- Rajamani, R., Phanomchoeng, G., Piyabongkarn, D., Lew, J.Y. et al., “Algorithms for real-time estimation of individual wheel tire-road friction coefficients,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. 17(6): 1183-1195, 2012, doi: 10.1109/TMECH.2011.2159240.
- Sierra, C., Tseng, E., Jain, A., and Peng, H., “Cornering stiffness estimation based on vehicle lateral dynamics,” Vehicle System Dynamics. 44(1): 24-38, 2006.
- Kiencke, U. and Nielsen, L., “Automotive Control Systems: For Engine, Driveline, and Vehicle, 2th Edition,” Springer-Verlag, USA, ISBN: 9783540231394, 2005.