This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Atmospheric Turbulence for Wind-Tunnel Tests on Full-Scale Light-Duty Vehicles
ISSN: 1946-3995, e-ISSN: 1946-4002
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Citation: McAuliffe, B., Wall, A., and Larose, G., "Simulation of Atmospheric Turbulence for Wind-Tunnel Tests on Full-Scale Light-Duty Vehicles," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 9(2):583-591, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1583.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, "SAE Wind Tunnel Test Procedure for Trucks and Busses,” SAE Standard J1252, Rev. July 2012.
- Hucho, W.-H., “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles-Fourth Edition,” (Warrendale, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., 1998), ISBN 978-0-7680-0029-0.
- Cooper, K. and Watkins, S., "The Unsteady Wind Environment of Road Vehicles, Part One: A Review of the On-road Turbulent Wind Environment," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1236, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1236.
- Watkins, S. and Cooper, K., "The Unsteady Wind Environment of Road Vehicles, Part Two: Effects on Vehicle Development and Simulation of Turbulence," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1237, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1237.
- Isyumov, N. “Alan G. Davenport’s Mark on Wind Engineering.” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 104-106:12-24, 2012.
- Sims-Williams, D., "Cross Winds and Transients: Reality, Simulation and Effects," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 4(1):172-183, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0172.
- Cogotti, A., "Update on the Pininfarina “Turbulence Generation System” and its effects on the Car Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0807, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0807.
- Christiansen, H., Larose, G., Jakobsen, J., McDonald, J. et al. “Comparison of the aerodynamics of bridge cables with a smooth surface and helical fillets in turbulent flow.” In 14th International Conference on Wind Engineering. Porto Alegre, Brazil, 2015.
- McAuliffe, B., Belluz, L., and Belzile, M., "Measurement of the On-Road Turbulence Environment Experienced by Heavy Duty Vehicles," SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7(2):685-702, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-2451.
- McAuliffe, B. and D'Auteuil, A., "A System for Simulating Road-Representative Atmospheric Turbulence for Ground Vehicles in a Large Wind Tunnel," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Mech. Syst. 9(2):817-830, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1624.
- Cogotti, A., "Generation of a Controlled Level of Turbulence in the Pininfarina Wind Tunnel for the Measurement of Unsteady Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0430, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0430.
- Carlino, G. and Cogotti, A., "Simulation of Transient Phenomena with the Turbulence Generation System in the Pininfarina Wind Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1031, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1031.
- Lee, R., McAullife, B. and Larose, G. “Wind-Tunnel Investigation of a Large Scale Pressure Model of the Shanghai Centre, Shanghai, China.” Technical Report LTR-AL-2009-0004, National Research Council Canada, 2010.
- Larose, G.L., Wall, A., McAuliffe, B.R., Kelly, D. et al. “Sectional Model Investigation at High Reynolds Number for a Super Tall Building.” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 104-106:49-55, 2012.
- Larose, G., Belluz, L., Whittal, I., Belzile, M. et al., "Evaluation of the aerodynamics of new drag reduction technologies for light-duty vehicles: a comprehensive wind tunnel study.," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Mech. Syst. 9(2):772-784, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-1613.
- Gaylard, A., Oettle, N., Gargoloff, J., and Duncan, B., "Evaluation of Non-Uniform Upstream Flow Effects on Vehicle Aerodynamics," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7(2):692-702, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0614.