This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Baxter Kinematic Modeling, Validation and Reconfigurable Representation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 05, 2016 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A collaborative robot or cobot is a robot that can safely and effectively interact with human workers while performing industrial tasks. The ability to work alongside humans has increased the importance of collaborative robots in the automation industry, as this unique feature is a much needed property among robots nowadays. Rethink Robotics has pioneered this unique discipline by building many robots including the Baxter Robot which is exclusive not only because it has collaborative properties, but because it has two arms working together, each with 7 Degrees Of Freedom. The main goal of this research is to validate the kinematic equations for the Baxter collaborative robot and develop a unified reconfigurable kinematic model for the Left and Right arms so that the calculations can be simplified. The given unified reconfigurable kinematic model represents a base for developing a unified reconfigurable Jacobian matrix, singularity conditions and dynamic model for the Left and Right arms, which will be used for control purposes. The calculation and visualization is done using reconfigurable kinematic modeling methodology and Matalb tools.
Citatione Silva, L., Tennakoon, T., Marques, M., and Djuric, A., "Baxter Kinematic Modeling, Validation and Reconfigurable Representation," SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0334, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0334.
- Akella, P., Peshkin, M., Colgate, E.D., Wannasuphorasit, W., Nagesh, N., Wells, J., Holland, S., Pearson, T. and Peacock, B., 1999, “Cobots for the automobile assembly line”, In Robotics and Automation, 1999, Proceedings. 1999 IEEE International Conference on. Vol. 1, pp: 728-733.
- Denavit J. and Hartenberg R. S., “A Kinematic Notation for Lower-pair Mechanisms Based on Matrices” Journal of Applied Mechanics, 77: 215-221, 1955
- Ding, H., Heyn, J., Matthias, B., and Staab, H., 2013, “Structured collaborative behavior of industrial robots in mixed human-robot environments”, In Automation Science and Engineering (CASE), 2013 IEEE International Conference on, pp: 1101-1106.
- Peshkin, M., Edward Colgate J., “Cobots (invited)”, Industrial Robot, 26 (5), p. 335-341, 1999.
- Kruger, J., Bernhardt, R., Surdilovic, D., and Spur, G., 2006,” Intelligent assist systems for flexible assembly.” CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology. Vol. 55(1), pp: 29-32.
- Matthias, B., Kock, S., Jerregard, H., Kallman, M., Lundberg, I., and Mellander, R., 2011, “Safety of collaborative industrial robots: Certification possibilities for a collaborative assembly robot concept.” In Assembly and Manufacturing (ISAM), 2011 IEEE International Symposium on. pp: 1-6.
- Waurzyniak, P., 2015, “Fast, lightweight robots help factories go faster.” Manufacturing Engineering. Vol. 154(3), pp: 55-+. -
- Baxter hardware specifications: http://sdk.rethinkrobotics.com/wiki/Hardware_Specifications, Access February 2, 2016.
- The Unified Robot Description Format (URDF): http://sdk.rethinkrobotics.com/wiki/URDF, Access February 2, 2016.
- Robot Operating System (ROS): http://wiki.ros.org/urdf/, Access February 2, 2016.
- Ju Z., Yang C., Ma H., “Kinematics modeling and experimental verification of Baxter robot”, 33rd Chinese Control Conference (CCC), 2014.
- Banh A., Rea Daniel J., Ehud Sharlin, J. E. Y. “Inspector Baxter: The Social Aspects of Integrating a Robot as a Quality Inspector in an Assembly Line”, In Proceedings of the 3rd ACM International Conference on Human-Agent Interaction (HAI '15). 2015.
- Zhao M., Shome R., Yochelson I., Kowler Bekris KE, “An Experimental Study for Identifying Features of Legible Manipulator Paths”, International Symposium on Experimental Robotics (ISER), 2014
- Liang P., Yang C., Wang N., Li Z., Li R., Burdet E., “Implementation and Test of Human-Operated and Human-Like Adaptive Impedance Controls on Baxter Robot”, Advances in Autonomous Robotics Systems, Volume 8717, pp 109-119, 2014.
- Parida S., Wachs J. P., and Eugenia Cabrera M.,” Dynamic Surgical Tool Tracking and Delivery System using Baxter Robot”, The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) Symposium, Paper 51, 2014
- Akella P., Peshkin Michael A., Colgate Ed, Wannasuphoprasit W., Nagesh N., Wells J., Holland S., Pearson T., Peacock B., “Cobots for the automobile assembly line”, International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Detroit MI, 1999
- Rethink Robotics: Baxter Research Robot Software Development Kit (SDK) Version 0.7.0 (2013)
- Baxter Robot Hardware Architecture Overview http://www.active8robots.com/wp-content/uploads/Baxter-Hardware-Specification-Architecture-Datasheet.pdf
- Roh, Ho-Sik, and Kim Jin-Oh. "Manipulator modeling from DH parameters", Industrial Electronics Society, 2004. IECON 2004. 30th Annual Conference of IEEE. Vol. 3. IEEE, 2004.
- Corke P. "A Simple and Systematic Approach to Assigning Denavit-Hartenberg Parameters", Robotics, IEEE Transactions on 23.3 (2007): 590-594.
- Manseur R.. “Robot modeling and kinematics”, (Boston), Da Vinci Engineering Press, 2006 ISBN 1-58450-851-5.
- Surdilovic, D., Schreck, G., and Schmidt, U., 2010, “Development of collaborative robots (COBOTS) for flexible human-integrated assembly automation”, In Robotics (ISR), 2010 41st international symposium on and 2010 6th German Conference on Robotics (ROBOTIK). pp: 1-8, VDE.
- Wayland M., Anders M., “Obama administration chooses Southeastern Michigan for manufacturing stimulus program”, MLive Business reporter, May 28, 2014