This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Nonlinear Dynamic Model of a Commercial Vehicle and the Variables that Can Affect the Fuel Consumption
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 22, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The search for better energy efficiency is leading the developments in automotive industry, looking for opportunities to reduce losses, optimizing the design and getting better efficiency of every component.
This paper will present a non-linear dynamic study of interaction between commercial vehicle and the environment, considering all the influence of their dynamic characteristics in the fuel consumption.
The first step is to analyze all variables that influence the dynamic behavior and then construct a mathematical model based on energy and based on forces (Newton).
The interaction between the vehicle and its environment and the response of it will be considered as influent aspects and should be included into vehicle dynamic modeling. By understanding this relationships and their influence in the fuel consumption it is possible to propose a new approach to develop automotive projects for commercial vehicle applications focus on fuel consumption and taking into account the Brazilian reality.
CitationGasparini, R. and Dedini, F., "Nonlinear Dynamic Model of a Commercial Vehicle and the Variables that Can Affect the Fuel Consumption," SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0320, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-36-0320.
- Genta , G. Motor Vehicle Dynamics, Modeling and Simulation 1997
- Gillespie , T. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics 1992
- Sovran , G. and Blaser , D. A Contribution to Understanding Automotive Fuel Economy and its Limits SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2070 2003
- Shu , X. , Ma , H. and Liu , X. Transient Modeling for Heavy Tracked Vehicle Performance and Fuel Consumption Under Accelerating Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0630 2002
- Gasparini , R. Longitudinal dynamics of commercial vehicles: Resistive forces and other factors that influence the fuel consumption Master Thesis Unicamp 2010
- Rill , G. Vehicle Dynamics Short Course Brasil 2007
- Ross , M. Fuel Efficiency and The Physics of Automobiles. Physics Department Contemporary Physics University of Michigan 1997
- Sandberg , T. Heavy Truck Modeling for Fuel Consumption Simulations and Measurements Master Thesis Linkoping University 2001
- Gama Technologies GT-Drive Manual Version 6.2 Reference book 2006
- Patton , K. , Sullivan , A. , Rask , R. and Theobald , M. Aggregating Technologies for Reduced Fuel Consumption: A Review of the Technical Content in the 2002 National Research Council Report on CAFE SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0628 2002
- Santana , M. Study of the influence of accessories in the performance of turbo diesel engines Master Thesis Unicamp 2010
- Nan , E. and Giannelli , R. Fuel Consumption Modeling of Conventional and Advanced Technology Vehicles in the Physical Emission Rate Estimator (PERE) Office of Transportation and Air Quality U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 2005
- Fender , J. Study of influence of gear ratio in fuel consumption of an urban bus Master Thesis Unicamp 2010
- Mccallen , R. Working Group Meeting on Heavy Vehicle Aerodynamic Drag: Presentations and Summary of Comments and Conclusions 2001
- Castellucci , P. DOE Project on Heavy Vehicle Aerodynamic Drag FY 2005 Annual Report 2005
- Froberg , A. Efficient Simulation and Optimal Control for Vehicle Propulsion Master Thesis Linkoping University 2008