This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of an ORC Based Heat Recovery System on the Performances of a Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2015 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A smart way to reduce CO2 emission in transportation sector is to recover energy usually wasted and re-use it for engine and vehicle needs. ORC plant on exhaust gas of ICE is really interesting, but it has a significant impact on the exhaust line and vehicle's weight.
The backpressure realized in the exhaust and the weight gain, in fact, produce a specific fuel consumption increase as well as an increase in the propulsion power: both terms could vanish the energy recovered.
The paper discusses the effects of the pressure losses produced by an ORC plant mounted on the exhaust line of an IVECO F1C test bench engine. The interactions produced on the turbocharged engine have been experimentally investigated: the presence of an IGV turbocharger makes the effect of the backpressure not straightforward to be predicted and needed a full experimental testing of the group in order to understand its reaction and the net effect in terms of specific fuel consumption.
The extra-weight of the unit completed the analysis in terms of the real effectiveness of the energy recovery and sets the boundaries of applicability of an ORC based recovery system.
CitationDi Battista, D., Mauriello, M., and Cipollone, R., "Effects of an ORC Based Heat Recovery System on the Performances of a Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1608, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1608.
- Björnsson , H. , Johansson , L. - Aufladetechnik für Downsizing von abgas¬armen Serienmotoren - Turbo System Technology for Downsized High Volume Engines with PZEV Capability Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeug und Motorentechnik 2008
- Chiara , F. , Canova , M. A Review of Energy Consumption, Management and Recovery in Automotive Systems with Considerations on Future Trends Proceeding of the Inst. Mech. Engr., Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 227 6 914 936 2013
- Zhang , Y. , Zhao , H. Investigation of combustion, performance and emission characteristics of 2-stroke and 4 stroke spark ignition and CAI/HCCI operations in a DI gasoline Applied Energy 130 244 255 2014
- Cipollone , R. , Di Battista , D. , and Gualtieri , A. A novel engine cooling system with two circuits operating at different temperatures Energy Conversion and Management 75 581 592 2013
- Cipollone , R. and Di Battista , D. Performances and Opportunities of an Engine Cooling System with a Double Circuit at Two Temperature Levels SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0638 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0638
- Saidur , R. , Rezaei , M. , Muzammil , W. K. , Hassan , M. H. et al. Technologies to recover exhaust heat from internal combustion engines Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 16 8 October 2012 5649 5659 1364-0321
- Jadhao , J. S. , Thombare , D. G. Review on Exhaust Gas Heat Recovery for I.C. Engine International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT) 2 12 June 2013
- Cipollone , R. , Di Battista , D. , and Gualtieri , A. Turbo compound systems to recover energy in ICE International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT) 3 6 2013 2277-3754
- Millo , F. , Mallamo , F. , Pautasso , E. , and Ganio Mego , G. The Potential of Electric Exhaust Gas Turbocharging for HD Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0437 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0437
- Stobart , R. , Wijewardane , A. , and Allen , C. The Potential for Thermo-Electric Devices in Passenger Vehicle Applications SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0833 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0833
- Liang , X. , Sun , X. , Tian , H. , Shu , G. et al. Comparison and parameter optimization of a two-stage thermoelectric generator using high temperature exhaust of internal combustion engine Applied Energy 130 190 199 October 2014 10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.05.048
- Cipollone , R. , Di Battista , D. , and Gualtieri , A. Energy recovery from the turbocharging system of internal combustion engines 11th Biennal Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis ESDA12 July 2-4 2012 Nantes, France
- Cipollone , R. , Di Battista , D. , and Gualtieri , A. Direct heat recovery from ICE exhaust gas (2012) Sustainable Vehicle Technologies: Driving the Green Agenda 177 188 10.1533/9780857094575
- TNO, AEA, CE Delft, Okopol, TML, Ricardo, HIS Global Insight, Support for the revision of Regulation (EC) No 443/2009 on CO2 emissions from cars, Service request #1 for Framework Contract on Vehicle Emissions Framework Contract No ENV.C.3./FRA/2009/0043 Final report November 25th 2011
- Cipollone , R. , Bianchi , G. , Di Battista , D. , Contaldi , G. et al. Mechanical Energy Recovery from Low Grade Thermal Energy Sources Energy Procedia 45 2014 121 130 1876-6102
- Di Battista , D. Il recupero dell'energia termica allo scarico nei motori alternativi a combustione interna. Realizzazione e sperimentazione di un impianto motore a fluido organico PhD Thesis Mechanical Engineering Department L'Aquila March 2014
- Cipollone , R. ; Contaldi , G. ; Bianchi , G. ; Murgia , S. Energy Recovery using Sliding Vane Rotary Expanders, 8th International Conference on Compressors and their Systems 2013 Institution of mechanical Engineers
- Bianchi Giuseppe , Cipollone Roberto Theoretical modeling and experimental investigations for the improvement of the mechanical efficiency in sliding vane rotary compressors Applied Energy 142 15 March 2015 95 107
- Cipollone Roberto , Di Battista Davide Sliding vane rotary pump in engine cooling system for automotive sector Applied Thermal Engineering 76 5 February 2015 157 166
- Cipollone R. , Valenti G. , Bianchi G. et al. Energy saving in sliding vane rotary compressors using pressure swirl oil atomizers Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering 2014
- Boretti , A. Improving the Efficiency of Turbocharged Spark Ignition Engines for Passenger Cars through Waste Heat Recovery SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0388 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0388
- Abbe Horst , T. , Tegethoff , W. , Eilts , P. , and Koehler , J. Prediction of dynamic Rankine Cycle waste heat recovery performance and fuel saving potential in passenger car applications considering interactions with vehicles' energy management Energy Conversion and Management 78 February 2014 438 451 0196-8904
- Mohiuddin , A. K. M. , Ideres , M. R. , and Hashim , S. Experimental Study of Noise and Backpressure for Silencer Design Characteristics Journal of Applied Sciences (Pakistan) 5.7 2005 1292 1298
- Bennethum , J. and Winsor , R. Toward Improved Diesel Fuel SAE Technical Paper 912325 1991 10.4271/912325
- Mondt , J. Cleaner Cars: The History and Technology of Emission Control Since the 1960s Warrendale Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 2000 0-7680-0222-2
- Risse , S. Motornahe thermoelektrische Rekuperation der Abgasenergie an einem turboaufgeladenen direkteinspritzenden Ottomotor dissertation University of Dresden Germany 2012
- Mazar , B. Gesamtsystemoptimierung eines thermoelektrischen Generators für eine Fahrzeuggruppe dissertation University of Dresden Germany 2010
- Capobianco , M. , Gambarotta , A. Variable geometry and waste-gated automotive turbochargers: measurements and comparison of turbine performance ASME Transactions, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 114 553 560 1992 10.1115/1.2906624
- Flärdh , O. , Mårtensson , J. Exhaust pressure modeling and control on an SI engine with VGT Control Engineering Practice 25 1 26 35 2014 10.1016/j.conengprac.2013.11.021
- Rajoo , S. and Martinez-Botas , R. Improving Energy Extraction from Pulsating Exhaust Flow by Active Operation of a Turbocharger Turbine SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1557 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1557
- Cheong Jaehoon , Cho Sunghwan , Kim Changho Effect of variable geometry turbocharger on HSDI Diesel Engine FISITA World Automotive Congress Seoul (Korea) June 12-15 2000
- Choi Kyungwook , Kim Kibum and Lee Kihyung Effect of the heat exchanger in the waste heat recovery system on a gasoline engine performance IMechE 2014: Journal of Automobile Engineering 10.1177/0954407014547241