This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Friction and Pumping Losses Estimation in Flex Internal Combustion Engines with Variable Valve Actuation System Using Chamber Pressure Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 02, 2012 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Increasing competition in the automotive sector, according to new energy and environmental legislations, requires that the vehicles have higher performance with lower fuel consumption and pollutant emissions. These factors encourage the study of new technologies such as the Variable Valve Actuation System (VVA) in internal combustion engines. To accomplish this, a detailed study of friction and pumping losses present in the engine becomes relevant, as they directly influence its efficiency. According to Heywood , these losses vary in relation to the delivered energy from 10% at full load to 100% at idle, when there is no production of effective work. This paper proposes the application of combustion chamber pressure analysis to separately identify and measure the friction and pumping losses in engines with VVA.
CitationAlvarenga, L., Vianna, M., Pierobom, M., and Andrade, R., "Friction and Pumping Losses Estimation in Flex Internal Combustion Engines with Variable Valve Actuation System Using Chamber Pressure Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0363, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-36-0363.
- Heywood, B. J. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals”. Ed. McGrawHill, Inc, 1988.
- Demmelbauer-Ebner, W., Dachs, A., and Lenz, H., “Variable Valve Actuation Systems for the Optimization of Engine Torque,” SAE Technical Paper 910447, 1991, doi:10.4271/910447.
- Bernard, L., Ferrari, A., Rinolfi, R., Valfidis, C. “Fuel Economy Improvement Potential of Uniair Throttleless Technology”. Venezia: Special 1, ata vol.56, n.1/2 Gennaio/Febbraio 2003.
- Lenz, H., Geringer, B., Smetana, G., and Dachs, A., “Initial Test Results of an Electro-Hydraulic variable- Valve Actuation System on a Firing Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 890678, 1989, doi:10.4271/890678.
- PULKRABEK, W. W. “Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine”. Ed. Pearson Prentice Hall Inc., 2004.
- Taylor, C.M. Automobile engine tribology - design for considerations efficiency and durability, Wear 221 1998 1-8.