This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Analysis of the Exhaust Emission Level in Combat Vehicles Under Real Operating Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 19, 2011 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2011
The paper presents the results of tests on a combustion engine of an armored modular vehicle 8x8 Rosomak under combat simulating conditions. For the measurements of the toxic compounds a portable SEMTECH DS analyzer by SENSORS was used. The analyzer allowed a measurement of toxic compounds at the same time measuring the mass flow rate of the exhaust gases. The analysis of the PM emission was performed based on the measurement of the size of the particulate matter (analyzer 3090 EEPS - Engine Exhaust Particle Sizer™ Spectrometer - by TSI Incorporated) and counting of the particles (analyzer Particle Counter by AVL). The measurements of CO, HC, NOx, PM and fuel consumption were performed under the conditions of combat simulation and in the overboost mode. Based on the obtained results, an analysis of the engine and vehicle operation was performed and the on-road and unit exhaust emissions as well as on-road and unit fuel consumption were compared. Based on the emission tests simulating combat conditions, a stationary emission test has been proposed (one that considers the engine operating conditions).
CitationMerkisz, J., Pielecha, I., Pielecha, J., and Szukalski, M., "The Analysis of the Exhaust Emission Level in Combat Vehicles Under Real Operating Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2011-26-0041, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-26-0041.
- Merkisz, J and Pielecha, J, “Analysis of Particle Concentrations and Smoke in Common-Rail Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper No. 2008-01-1743, 2008
- Gao, Y and Checkel, M D, “Emission Factors Analysis for Multiple Vehicles Using an On-Board, In-Use Emissions Measurement System”, SAE Paper No. 2007-01-1327, 2007
- Czerwinski, J, et al. “Particle Emissions of a TDI-Engine with Different Lubrication Oils”, Combustion Engines, 2(121), 2005
- Czerwinski, J, Zimmerli, Y and Mayer, A, “Experiences about Retrofitting of City Busses with DPF's”, Combustion Engines, 1(124), 2006
- Ensfield, C, Bachman, L J, Erb, A and Bynum, C, “Evaluating Real-World Fuel Economy on Heavy Duty Vehicles using a Portable Emissions Measurement System”, SAE Paper No. 2006-01-3543, 2006
- Merkisz, J, et al., “PM Emission from Combat Vehicle Engines During Start and Warm-Up”, 14th ETH Conference on Combustion Generated Nanoparticles, Zurich 1-4.08.2010
- Merkisz, J, et al., “Exhaust Emission from Combat Vehicle Engines During Start and Warm-up”, IInd International Scientific Conference: Transport Problems, Katowice-Kraków, 8-11.06.2010
- Shahinian, V D, “SENSORS Tech-ct Update Application Software for SEMTECH Mobile Emission Analyzers”, Sensors 4th Annual SUN (SEMTECH User Network) Conference, 2007
- AVL GmbH, “AVL Particle Counter,” www.avl.com, December 2009
- TSI Incorporated, “Engine Exhaust Particle Sizer-3090,” www.tsi.com, December 2009