This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of a New Spark-ignition Internal Combustion Rotary Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the present work a mathematical model was developed simulating the performance of a new rotary spark-ignition internal combustion engine with variable speed displacers. In this engine, four displacers rotate concentrically, in an annular space, at variable and phased angular velocities, thus creating distinct variable-volume working spaces between them. Concentric shafts are driven individually by the displacers. An innovative connecting rod mechanism imposes phased variable angular speeds to the shafts and, consequently, to the displacers. The mechanism also offers a convenient way of compression ratio control, at constant power shaft angular speed. This new engine follows the stages of intake, compression, combustion, expansion and exhaust. The integral equations of energy and mass conservation, in their time derivative form, are applied to the control volumes. Gas properties are supposed to be uniformly distributed in the control volumes. Pressure and temperature variations inside the engine are obtained through the numerical integration of the conservation equations, with the help of equations of heat transfer rate between gas and wall, of gas flow through the exhaust and intake ports and clearances between movable parts, the equations of volume variation inside each chamber, and chemical equations and stoichiometry. A preliminary analysis was carried out against first engine test bed results.
CitationJiménez, R., Parise, J., and Kopelowicz, H., "Simulation of a New Spark-ignition Internal Combustion Rotary Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0327, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-36-0327.
- NORBYE, J. P., The Wankel Engine, Radnor, EUA, Chilton Book Company, 1971.
- KAWAHARA, N., TOMITA, E., HAYASHI, K., Cycle-resolved measurements of the fuel concentration near a spark plug in a rotary engine using an in situ laser absorption method, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, vol. 31, pp. 3033–3040, part 2, 2007.
- KARIM G. A., SHRESTHA O. M. B., The Performance of a Variable Geometry Toroidal Engine. Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Calgary, 2000.
- MONGADO, R. G., Internal Combustion Engine and Method, United States Patent number 6739307 B2, 2004.
- MONGADO, R. G., Rotoblock, Oscillating Piston Engine, Disponível em http://www.rotoblock.com/ ,Acesso em 24/08/2008.
- MONGADO, R. G., DAR Engines, Technical overview, Disponível em http://www.darengines.co.il/technology.asp, Acesso em 24/08/2008.
- TAUROZZI, E. H., Rotary Engine, United States Patent number 3854457 B2, 1974.
- TAUROZZI, E. H., ST Racing, Motor Taurozzi, Disponível em http://www.stracing.com.mx/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19 &t=1850&hilit=taurozzi, Acesso em 24/08/2008.
- TAUROZZI, E. H., Rotatorque, The Second Prototype, Disponível em http://www.rotatorque.de/english/index.htm, Acesso em 24/08/2008.
- KOPELOWICZ, H. J., Sistema para Transformar um Movimento Circular Continuo de um Eixo num Movimento Conjunto ou Separado com Estados de Repouso e Movimento Alternado de Dois ou mais Eixos e Vice-Versa, pedido de deposito patente 008155,30, 1988.
- KOPELOWICZ, H. J., A system for the construction of pumps, compressors and motor engines, formed by a rotary chamber and pistons which are driven in the same direction at varying velocities alternatively opposite to each other, inside a fixed open or closed structure. International Patent Application under PCT, International Publication Number WO03/014549 A1, 2003.
- KOPELOWICZ, H. J., Sistema para Transformar um Movimento Circular Continuo de um Eixo num Movimento Conjunto ou Separado com Estados de Repouso e Movimento Alternado de Dois ou mais Eixos e Vice-Versa, 2008.
- BARRETO, A. R., WEBER, H. I., PARISE, J. A. R., Análise Teórica e Simulação Numérica de um Compressor Rotativo. X CREEM Congresso Nacional de Estudantes de Engenharia Mecânica, Santos, 2003.
- BARRETO, A. R., KOPELOWICZ, H. J., PARISE, J. A. R., Simulation of an Innovative Rotary Compressor with Variable Speed Displacers. Seventh International Compressor Engineering Conference at Purdue. USA, 2004.
- KOPELOWICZ, H. J., SIQUEIRA, C. E. R., MOUTELLA, F. L. C., AREAS, H. T, PARISE, J. A. R., Experimental Evaluation of an Innovative Rotary Compressor with Variable Speed Displacers, International Conference on Compressors and their Systems, IMechE, London, 2005.
- FERGUSON, C. R., Internal Combustion Engines, Applied Thermosciences, John Wiley & Sons Inc., U.S.A., 1986.
- JIMÉNEZ, R.D., Simulação de um Novo Motor a Combustão Interna Rotativo com Ignição por Centelha, Dissertação de Mestrado, PUC-Rio, setembro de2008.
- ANNAND, W. J. D, and ROE, G. E., Gas Flow in the Internal Combustion Engine, Foulis & Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset, England, 1974.