This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Evaluation of Electrical and Thermal Conductivity and Mechanical Behaviors of a Silicon Rubber based Composite Material for PEM Fuel Cell
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With increasing demand for cost-effective fuel cells, it is essential to investigate alternative materials for components of the fuel cells. The objective of this paper is to implement elastomeric materials (silicon rubber) for the use of bipolar plates in a polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell. Two different types of conductive fillers, a graphite fiber and flake, were added at different concentrations to a two-component silicone rubber slurry. Electrical, thermal and mechanical properties of the composite material were investigated. Comparable electrical and thermal conductivities were achieved to that of commercially available plates. The silicone rubber based composite material maintained elastomeric properties for improved sealing of cell fluid reactants and products.
|Technical Paper||Food Processing and Automotive Manufacturing: an Environmental Friendly Approach to Synthetic Rubber|
|Technical Paper||Tool Wear and Hole Quality in Drilling of Composite/Titanium Stacks with Carbide and PCD Tools|
CitationPetrach, E., Abu-Isa, I., and Wang, X., "An Evaluation of Electrical and Thermal Conductivity and Mechanical Behaviors of a Silicon Rubber based Composite Material for PEM Fuel Cell," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1005, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1005.
- Vieltich, W Gasteiger, H.A. Lamm, A. 2003 “Handbook of Fuel Cells – Fundamentals, Technology and Applications,” John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- The Hydrogen Pathway 2005 “Innovative Concepts for Bipolar Plates,” CLEFS CE 50/51 76 89
- Mehta, V Cooper, J.S. 2003 “Review and Analysis of PEM Fuel Cell Design and Manufacturing,” J. Power Sources 114 32 53
- Müller, A. Kauranen, P. Von Ganski, A Hell, B. 2006 “Injection Moulding of Graphite Composite Bipolar Plates,” J. Power Sources 154 467 471
- Mighri, F. Huneault, M.A. Champagne, M.F. 2004 “Electrically Conductive Thermoplastic Blends for Injection and Compression Molding of Bipolar Plates in the Fuel Cell Application,” Polymer Engineering and Science 40 9 1755 1765
- Wu, M Shaw, L. 2005 “Electrical and Mechanical Behaviors of Carbon Nanotube-Filled Polymer Blends,” Wiley InterScience
- Greenberg, E.R. May, M.N. Wise, J Gadala-Maria, F. 2005 “Effect of Shear on the Electrical Conductivity of Suspensions of Graphite in an Unsaturated Polyester Resin,” Polymer Engineering and Science 1540 1545
- Huang, J. Baird, D.G. McGrath, J.E. 2005 “Development of Fuel Cell Bipolar Plates from Graphite Filled Wet-Lay Thermoplastic Composite Materials,” J. of Power Sources 150 110 119
- Hermann, A. Chaudhuri, T Spagnol, P. 2005 “Bipolar Plates for PEM Fuel Cells: A Review,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 1297 1302
- Jousse, F. Salas, J.F. Giroud, F. Icard B. Laurent, J.Y. Combe, P. 2000 “Development of New Bi-Polar Plates Based on Electrically Conductive Filled Polymers for PEMFC,” EUROMAT 99
- Bin, Z. Bingchu, M. Chunhui, S Runzhang, Y. 2006 “Study on the Electrical and Mechanical Properties of Polyvinylidene Fluoride/Titanium Silicon Carbide Composite Bipolar Plates,” J. Power Sources
- Yen C-Y. Liao S-H. Lin Y-F. Hung C-H Lin Y-Y Ma, C-C M. 2006 “Preparation and Properties of High Performance Nanocomposite Bipolar Plate for Fuel Cell,” J. Power Sources
- Kuan, H-C Ma, M.C-C. Chen, K.H. Chen, S-M. 2004 “Preparation, Electrical, Mechanical and Thermal Properties of Composite Bipolar Plate for a Fuel Cell,” J. Power Sources 134 7 17
- Besmann, T.M. Klett, J.W. Henry J.J. Jr Lara-Curzio, E. 2001 “Carbon/Carbon Composite Bipolar Plate for PEM Fuel Cells,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 02FCC-14
- Tamashausky, A. 2007 Asbury Carbons http://www.asbury.com/
- Hudak, G.A. 2005 “Fuel Cell Technology and Its Importance to Society,” Tech Directions
- Petrach, E. Abu-Isa, I Wang, X. 2008 “Investigation of Elastomer Graphite Composite Material for PEM Fuel Cell Bipolar Plate,” J. Fuel Cell Science and Technology
- Petrach, E. Abu-Isa, I Wang, X. 2008 “Optimization of Conductive Fillers of a Composite Material for PEM Fuel Cell Bipolar Plates” Proceedings of FuelCell2008 ASME, FuelCell 2008 65097
- Frisch, L. 2001 “PEM Fuel Cell Stack Sealing Using Silicone Elastomers,” Sealing Technology 93 7 9
- Strong, B.A. 2006 “Plastics Materials and Processing,” Prentice Hall
- GE Silicone Technical Data 2007 www.gesilicones.com
- Cytec Industries Inc. 2007 http://www.cytec.com/
- Barbir, F. 2005 “PEM Fuel Cells: Theory and Practice,” New York Elsevier Inc