This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on the Diesel Engine Crankshaft Fatigue Performance Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 2009 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper summarizes an investigation of the effect of crankshaft fillet rolling load, undercut radius and web thickness on crankshaft fatigue performance. For this purpose crankshafts from two types of micro-alloyed steels were tested at different combinations of geometry and rolling load conditions. Fatigue rig specimens were prepared and subjected to completely reversed constant amplitude cyclic loads on a resonance type of fatigue testing machine. Results were evaluated as load versus number of cycles curves. An optimum design condition within the investigated design range was selected. Fatigue endurance limit for two conditions was obtained by the application of staircase test method.
Following the resonance bending fatigue test, finite element analysis were carried out in order to calculate the corrected endurance strengths from the test data. These corrected endurance strengths of the crankshaft, where effect of rolling, geometry and surface properties are included, were used as input for further fatigue analysis. Engine dynamic simulation is done to demonstrate the dynamic sectional forces and vibrations, and to determine the critical webs. Safety factor calculations were done in FEMFAT, where corrected endurance strengths and dynamical vibrations exported from engine dynamic simulations are used. Fatigue analysis was performed for M1 and M2 crankshafts, and for single mass flywheel and dual mass flywheel configurations.
CitationÇevik, G., Tuncali, Z., and Duran, E., "A Study on the Diesel Engine Crankshaft Fatigue Performance Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0261, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-0261.
- Love, R. J. Waistall, D.N. 1954 The Improvement in the Bending Fatigue Strength of Production Crankshafts by Cold Rolling, M.I.R.A. 1 8
- Ko, Y.S. Park, J.W. Bhan, H.O. Park, H. Lim, J.D. Fatigue Strength and Residual Stress Analysis of Deep Rolled Crankshafts 2005 SAE World Congress Detroit, Miscigan 2005-01-0988
- Henry, J.P. Toplosky J. Abramzuczuk M. Crankshaft Durability Prediction-A New 3D Approach SAE Technical Paper Series, 920087
- Chien, W.Y. Pan, J. Close, D. Ho, S. Fatigue Analysis of Crankshaft Sections under Bending with Conideration of Residual Stresses International Journal of Fatigue 27 2005 1 19
- Dixon, W.J. Mood, A.M. A Method for Obtaining and analyzing Sensitivity Data Journal of Amer. Statist. Assoc. 43 109 126 1948
- AVL/Excite Power Unit User's Guide May 2007