This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Power Unit for Hybrid Vehicles and Electric Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2005 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
This paper will describe Delphi’s vision for an advanced class of powertrain employing a Solid Oxide Fuel Cell (SOFC) Auxiliary Power Unit (APU). The use of the APU can replace or significantly reduce the size of the battery in a hybrid vehicle thereby improving performance and fuel economy. Detailed modeling illustrates how an electric vehicle with an APU can achieve the range and performance of conventional vehicles with substantially improved fuel economy and inherently low emissions. With Delphi’s on-board reforming technology to provide the fuel for the SOFC, these propulsion systems can be achieved in the near-term using conventional fuels without being dependent upon, but perhaps promoting, the development of a hydrogen-fuel infrastructure.
CitationBotti, J. and Speck, C., "Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Power Unit for Hybrid Vehicles and Electric Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2005-24-094, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-24-094.
- Grieve, M. J. “Hydrogen Leveraging for Near Zero-Emission Vehicles with Conventional or Mild Hybrid Powertrains and Gasoline Fuel,” Global Powertrain Congress Detroit, MI October 1998
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve, M. J. “Advanced Engine Management Using On-Board Gasoline Partial Oxidation Reforming for Meeting Super-ULEV (SULEV) Emissions Standards,” SAE Paper 1999-01-2927 August 1999
- Grieve, M. J. Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. “Integration of a Small On-board Reformer to a Conventional Gasoline Internal Combustion Engine System to Enable a Practical and Robust Nearly-zero Emission Vehicle,” Global Powertrain Congress Stuttgart, Germany October 1999
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve, M. J. “An On-Board Gasoline Reforming System for Meeting SULEV Emissions Requirements in a Spark-Ignition Engine,” Global Powertrain Congress Detroit, MI June 2000
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve, M. J. “Development of a Fast Start-up On-Board Gasoline Reformer for Near Zero Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Aachen Colloquium on Automobile and Engine Technology (Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeung- und Motorentechnik) October 2001
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve, M. J. “Fast Start-up On-Board Gasoline Reformer for Near Zero Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines,” SAE Paper 2002-01-1011 March 2002
- Kirwan, J. E. Quader, A. A. Grieve, M. J. Rahmoeller, K. M. Wadumesthrige, K. Fisher, G. B. “On-Board Reformer Development for Low Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines,” Global Powertrain Congress Ann Arbor, MI September 2002
- Zizelman, J. Botti, J. Tachtler, J. Stobl, W. “Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Auxiliary Power Unit – A Paradigm Shift in Electric Supply for Transportation,” Convergence 2000, SAE 2000-01-C070 , Detroit, MI October 2000
- Zizelman, J. Mukerjee, S. Shaffer, S. “Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Auxiliary Power Unit – A Development Update,” SAE 2002-01-0411
- Keegan, K. Khaleel et al. “Analysis of a Planar Solid Oxide Fuel Cell based Automotive Auxiliary Power Unit,” SAE 2002-01-0413
- Mukerjee, S. Chick, L. et al. “Development of a Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Stack by Delphi and Battelle,” based Automotive Auxiliary Power Unit,” 8 th International SOFC Symposium Paris, France 2003
- Botti, J. J. “The Revolution Through Evolution: Delphi Solid Oxide Fuel Cell for APU and Hydrogen Reformation,” Powertrain International Magazine November 2002
- Quader, A. A. Kirwan, J. E. Grieve, M. J. “Engine Performance and Emissions near the Dilute Limit with Hydrogen Enrichment using an On-Board Reforming Strategy,” SAE Paper 2003-01-1356
- Botti, J. J. Grieve, M. J. Miller, C. E. “Power Generation System and Method,”