This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Material Recycling Technology for Automobile Rubber Waste
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 27, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new material recycling technology for crosslinked rubber was developed using the continuous reactive processing method. In this process of producing reclaimed rubber, breakage of crosslinking points in the crosslinked rubber occurs selectively under the controls of shear stress, reaction temperature, and internal pressure in a modular screw type reactor. Deodorization during the process has also become possible by a newly developed method. The reclaimed rubber obtained from rubber waste generated from both automobile manufacturing products and post-consumer products shows excellent mechanical properties applicable to new rubber compounds. Furthermore, an enhanced rubber recycling process for producing thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) based on rubber waste has been established. The obtained TPE exhibits highly recoverable rubber elasticity and mechanical properties comparable to commercial TPE. It is expected that the rubber recycling technology developed and presented in this study will contribute to protecting the environment and also saving of resources.
|Technical Paper||The Technology to Produce Thermoplastic Elastomer Based on Waste Rubber|
|Special Publication||Elastomer Technology: Fuels, Oils, Fluids and Thermoplastics|
|Technical Paper||Performance of Thermoplastic Elastomers (TPEs) at Subzero Temperatures|
CitationFukumori, K., Matsushita, M., Okamoto, H., Sato, N. et al., "A New Material Recycling Technology for Automobile Rubber Waste," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2775, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2775.
- “Recycling of Rubber” RAPRA Report 99 1997 9
- TIRE INDUSTRY OF JAPAN JATMA 1999
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. Ltd. Plast. Rubb. News Sept. 9 1979
- Isayev, A. I. Chen, J. Tukachinsky, A. Rubber Chem. Technol. 68 1995 267
- Otsuka, S. Owaki, M. Suzuki, Y. Honda, H. Nakashima, K. Mouri, M. Sato, N. SAE Paper 2001-01-0015 1998
- Fukumori, K. Mouri, M. Sato, N. Okamoto, H. Matsushita, M. Honda, H. Nakashima, K. Suzuki, Y. Owaki, M. Gummi FASERN Kunststoffe 54 2001 48
- Fukumori, K. Matsushita, M. Okamoto, H. Sato, N. Suzuki, Y. Takeuchi, K. JSAE Review 23 2002 259
- Okamoto, H. Fukumori, K. Matsushita, M. Sato, N. Tanaka, Y. Okita, T. Takeuchi, K. Suzuki, N. Suzuki, Y. Prepr. of IUPAC-PC2002 Dec. 2-5 2002 638
- Tanaka, N. Watanabe. T. Okita, Y. Matsushita, M. Okamoto, H. Fukumori, K. Suzuki, N. Suzuki, Y. SAE Paper 2003-01-0941 2003