This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Effects on Ride Comfort and Road Holding of Actively Suspended Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
This paper is concerned with the analysis of the performance of actively suspended vehicles when the effects of the aerodynamics are considered. The investigation is wholly theoretical and treats a half vehicle model, active suspension, through simulation of running at different speeds on a random-profile road. Using classical control laws, which do not account for aerodynamic effects, it is shown that starting from a vehicle speed of 35 m/s, ride comfort and road holding parameters significantly deteriorate. A method is introduced to modify the control strategy so that these effects can be taken into consideration. Various forms of control laws are presented, and conclusions are drawn to specify the benefits that could be achieved from this modified control strategy.
|Technical Paper||On-Road Measurements of Aerodynamic Lift Compared with Wind Tunnel Data|
|Technical Paper||The Influence of Aerodynamic Lift on High Speed Stability|
|Technical Paper||The Control of Aerodynamic Parameters Influencing Vehicle Dynamics|
CitationAbdelhady, M., "Aerodynamic Effects on Ride Comfort and Road Holding of Actively Suspended Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2205, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2205.
- Roh, H.S. Park, Y. “Stochastic Optimal Preview Control of an Active Vehicle Suspension” Journal of Sound and Vibration 220 2 1999 313 330
- Yu, F. Crolla, D.A. “An Optimal Self-Tuning Controller for an Active Suspension” Vehicle System Dynamics 1998 29 51 65
- Abdel-Hady M.B.A. “Active Suspension With Preview Control.” 13th IAVSD Symposium 1993 1 13
- Fruhauf, F. Kasper, R. Luckel, J. “Design of an Active Suspension for A Passenger Vehicle Model Using input Processes with Time Delays” 13th IAVSD Symposium 1985 126 136
- Doniselli, C. Mastinu, G. Gobbi, M. “Aerodynamic Effects on Ride Comfort and Road Holding of Automobiles” Vehicle System Dynamics 25 1996 99 125
- Crolla, D.A. et al. “Modelling of Aerodynamic Effects on Passenger Car Handling, Using Fixed and Closed-loop Steering Control Methods” Int. Conf. On Advanced Controls Yokohama 1992
- Macadam, C.C. Sayers, M.W. Pointer, J.D. “Crosswind Sensitivity of Passenger Cars and the Influence of Chassis and Aerodynamic properties On Driver Preferences” Vehicle System Dynamics 16 1990 57 74
- Dowell, E.H. Ilgamov, M. ”Studies in Non-linear Aeroelasticity” Springer-Verlag 1989