This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on the use of Water - Diesel Emulsion in a LPG - Diesel Dual Fuel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2001 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2001
Use of water diesel emulsions in diesel engines has resulted in drastic reductions in NOx and smoke levels, while the thermal efficiency is also improved. The objective of this work is to evaluate the effects of using water diesel emulsion as the pilot fuel in a dual fuel engine with LPG as the primary fuel. Tests were conducted on a single cylinder constant speed DI diesel engine. An emulsion with a water to diesel ratio of 0.4:1 was used. Performance, HC, CO, NOx, smoke emissions and combustion parameters were obtained and compared with the case where pure diesel was used as the pilot fuel.
At high loads, the brake thermal efficiency with the emulsion as the pilot fuel was better than that with diesel. NOx levels were drastically reduced. The already low smoke levels were reduced further with the emulsion. There was an adverse effect on HC and CO emissions. The maximum rate of pressure rise and peak pressure were also higher with the emulsion. The use of the emulsion was not advantageous at low loads.
CitationGanesan, S. and Ramesh, A., "Investigation on the use of Water - Diesel Emulsion in a LPG - Diesel Dual Fuel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2001-28-0032, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-28-0032.
- Karim G.A. ‘The Dual fuel engine of the compression ignition type - Prospects Problems and solutions - A Review’. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) paper No: 831073, p. 3.569 - 3.577, 1983, USA.
- Karim G.A, Moore N.P.W. ‘Examination of rich mixture operation of a dual fuel engine’. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) paper No: 901500, p. 55- 62, 1990, USA.
- Prakash G. ‘Investigations on a Biogas - Diesel dual fuel engine’. A thesis for Master of Science (by Research), Department of mechanical Engineering, I.I.T Madras, 1999, India.
- Prakash G, Ramesh A, and Shaik Anwar Bhasha. ‘An Approach for estimation of ignition delay in a dual fuel engine’. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) paper No: 1999-01-0232, p.1-7, 1999, USA.
- Daisho Yasuhiro et & al. ‘Controlling Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Dual-Fueled with Natural Gas’. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) paper No: 952436, p. 107-117, 1995, USA.
- Poonia M.P, Ramesh A, and Gaur R.R. ‘Experimental investigation of the factors affecting the performance of a LPG - Diesel dual fuel engine’. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) paper No: 99-01-1123, p. 499 - 508, 1999, USA.
- Poonia M.P, Ramesh A, and Gaur R.R. ‘Effect of Intake Air Temperature and Pilot fuel Quantity on the combustion characteristics of a LPG Diesel Dual Fuel Engine’. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) paper No: 982455, p. 1 - 9, 1999, USA.
- Miyauchi T, Mori Y, and Yamaguchi T. ‘Effect of steam addition on NO formation’. Eighteenth International symposium on combustion, The combustion institute, Pittsburgh, 1981, p. 43-51.
- HsuBertrand D.. ‘Combustion of water-in-diesel emulsion in an experimental medium speed diesel engine’. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) paper No: 860 300, p. 2.285 - 2.296, 1986, USA.
- Murayama Tadashi et & al. ‘Experimental Reduction of NOx, Smoke, and BSFC in a Diesel Engine using uniquely produced water. (0 - 80%) to Fuel emulsion’. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) paper No: 780224, p. 946 - 956, 1978, USA
- Sheng Hong-zhi, Chen Li, and Wu Cheng - Kang. ‘The Droplet Group Micro Explosions in W/O Diesel Fuel Emulsion Sprays’. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) paper No: 950855, p.1534-1542, 1995, USA.
- Prabhukumar G.P. ‘Theoretical and experimental investigations on the performance of Hydrogen-fueled internal combustion engines’. A Doctor of Philosophy Thesis, Department of mechanical engineering, I.I.T Madras, India, 1985.
- Subramanian K.A, and Ramesh A. ‘Experimental investigation on the use of Water diesel emulsion with oxygen enriched air in a DI diesel engine’. Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) paper No: 2001-01-0205, 2001, USA.
- Muller-Dethlefs K, and Schlader A.F. ‘The effect of steam on flame temperature, burning velocity and carbon formation in Hydrocarbon Flames’. Combustion and Flame, volume 27,1976, p.205-215.